Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

The MM350/P units are good machines, though alotta problems with the front display/program board and if someone puts a new contactor in and doesn't put the auxillary wires on the same way (nukes the right side $$ board in the machine). After warranty they are expensive to repair.

The 251, are extremely reliable, the small front display board pops once in a while but are cheap to fix.

The 250X is simular to the 251, just use 2 SCR rectifiers instead of 1, these have little 5/16 head bolts that need to be tightened once in a while, or Blamo.

The 250 had several problems, won't get into them.

The 200, is easily fixed with jobber parts, and will likely last forever

The 252,s has a variety of hidden menu's that causes concern when someone that doesn't have a clue attempts to play with the wrong function, ie calibration, especially Mcal, Motor calibration. Really screws them up

This is getting interesting, all sorts of "wants"... I even looked at a 304XMT package but it doesn't have the pulser module...

The 350P would be like me upgrading my Cayenne S to a Cayenne Turbo! The 304XMT is too cluttered for a home garage and not as advanced as the 350P.

Since I don't need this immediately, I'll keep my eye on used/trade-in deals... I like the idea of going with an inverter powered MIG! (I'm amazed, my Dynasty 200DX runs at max 200A on a 230V-20A circuit) and why not add pulse!

All the recommendations here have been great and appreciated. They have managed to broaden the scope of my dreams! (ericher69 & FusionKing, thanks for the inverter reminder) ....thanks guys!
    Last edited by GlenC; 08-08-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Glen
    Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45
    For Sale! - Hobart Handler 150 - Miller EconoTwin HF

Quote Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
    (ericher69 & FusionKing, thanks for the inverter reminder) ....thanks guys!
    Not trying to talk you out of the 252 as I love mine!

Your welcome

Understood, but after talking with Miller tech, I think I would like to find a decent & recent used MM350P ... could be a lot more fun to play with!
    Glen

I guess I would really need to be put away if I bought a Invision 352PMa/S-74 MPa Plus wire feeder package I keep getting enticed with hi-tech package deals... This would be a really cool package, but the 350P is all-in-one with most of the same features.... hey, its only another $1500 I really don't have!!!
    Last edited by GlenC; 08-12-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Glen

I know you likely love blue, but another choice would be the Lincoln 300MP, or 350MP. All that is really different between those 2 is the programming. No one realizes that I can make a 300 into a 350 just with a 10 minutes of reprogramming....

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    I know you likely love blue, but another choice would be the Lincoln 300MP, or 350MP. All that is really different between those 2 is the programming. No one realizes that I can make a 300 into a 350 just with a 10 minutes of reprogramming....
    Well, at this point I was wanting to go with an inverter based unit. My understanding is the Lincoln is still transformer...

The Invision 352MPa Plus is MIG only where the XMT 350 MPa is a 3-in-1 modular unit and the 350P is pretty much the 352MPa in one non upgradeable package...
    Glen

None are true inverter, Both the lincoln and Miller are firing a set of IGBT's, and have secondary transformer coils soooo, really the same. Nothing much to go wrong in the Lincoln though and it is a one stop shop. with dc Tig, stick, pulsed mig, mig, and flux core/inner shield programs. Simple to troubleshoot. with a laptop, simple to upgrade with up to date programs. Can't do that with any Millers in this category. Really easy to adapt a miller spoolgun to it as well. I like them....

Now I experience ALL new equipment being a Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, T-arc, Sulzer Metco warranty depot.
    Last edited by cruizer; 08-12-2014 at 04:11 PM.

cruizer, What is your take on the 352MPa Plus setup? The XMT would only be if I wanted 400A stick or TIG, but not really needed, having 400A MIG...
    Glen

I don't see the point of it unless your in an industrial shop both with 3 phase and running heavy wire. Not going to be running pulse on mild steel unless its really thin material, rest of it would be short arc and spray. Pulse would be handy for exotic materials like silicone bronze I guess. Not a basic shop machine, and I don't see it being used that way. You'll be needing the mpa feeder as well to take advantage of the machines capabilitys