Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default I want a new MIG!!!

Hi, I'm now contemplating the replacement/upgrade of my Hobart Handler 150... I have a new Dynasty 200DX for TIG and stick, and like having the MIG as well. I am finally getting around to building/fabricating tool stands, tables, etc. I am a hobbyist and not using for a business, however I appreciate the quality of tools. I have at times needed to weld 3/8" and 1/2" material and this is not so well done with an air cooled TIG or the HH150.

The new Millermatic 252 really strikes my interest. It is probably more machine than needed and for that matter, I can get by with what I have, but!...this new stuff is really neat and I like it!

My Dynasty 200DX and Hypertherm 45 are awesome, a whole new world of welding... Next major project might be making a CNC Plasma table...

Am I crazy not to get one at $2250, or why should I not upgrade to the Millermatic 252?
    Glen
    Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45
    For Sale! - Hobart Handler 150 - Miller EconoTwin HF

It would be a great addition to your arsenal. When I weld things with 1/2" I like to make nice big beads and you can't do that with a little machine!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Do you really need a 252 ? If you want to do thick material then yes, the 252 is awesome ! Remember , mig prefers cleaner material too. Do you need more duty cycle ? Then yes.
    I'm the same way, buy big ! However I prefer stick for the thicker stuff and on weathered material . With 6010 on rusted $hitty stuff, just use a wire wheel and you are good to go.
    I was going through the same situation a couple of years ago. I went with the 211 and have no regrets. Miller does have a current rebate on it.
    You can never go wrong buying a larger machine . Like always stated here is that you can't use amps you don't have. If money is no issue then just buy it and be done about it. I don't think anyone is going to tell you NO ! Many want a 252 but only need a 211. Don't even think of the 212.

I cant remember anyone complaining that they purchased a machine too big for their use. As a hobbyist, I was in a similar position when shopping for a mig. I fretted for days about machines and features. I picked up a Miller 251 and 30A spool gun for aluminum/stainless. I have never regretted it. It has been a workhorse. You would be happy with the 252. The price stings a little but goes away quickly when you start using it.

With the 252 you could get a nice 15 or 30A spoolgun and do some serious aluminum mig welding.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (sold)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

BD1, why not even consider the 212? I bought one and love it. I think my wants were similar to the OP when I was looking for a new mig. I wanted a machine that could easily do over 1/4", but don't see me needing 1/2" capabilities. When I do working on a project I may need the duty cycle of a pro machine, which the 211 doesn't have. The 212 also has the Auto set, which I like since i'm still learning. The 252 doesn't have auto set. I also think the you can use the 212 on 1/2" by using multiple passes as long as it's not for structural integrity. The 212 meet all my needs and in happy with it.

I'm nit trying to argue with you, but if there's something I don't know about why the 212 is a bad decision, I'd like to know. Also, I feel this info may be helpful to the OP.

Default I want a new MIG!!!

We have a 252 at work I I love that machine....that's on my next machine list...

Guess I like the digital readout on the machines .... the 252 does have "MORE POWER!" to paraphrase Tim "the tool man" Taylor.... Do I need it, NO, but do I want it, ...duh!

The other things I like over the 212 are:
    "Infinite voltage control with digital meters have self-calibrating meters that permit presetting of voltage and wire feed speed. Ensures precise parameters and
    accuracy.
    Integrated digital timers come complete with presettable preflow/postflow, burnback, spot and delay (Stitch) timers. Independent timers for MIG and spool gun."

Now for price, $1024 MSRP difference, but I can get the 252 for only $500 more than the 212...
    Glen
    Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45
    For Sale! - Hobart Handler 150 - Miller EconoTwin HF

I have the 251 and I love it. I use it for home and hobby.

At work I have small mig welders and I bump duty cycle all the time. It sucks. Buy once.

That will be a great welder for you. And it will match your other high quality machines.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydoc1 View Post
    BD1, why not even consider the 212? I bought one and love it. I think my wants were similar to the OP when I was looking for a new mig. I wanted a machine that could easily do over 1/4", but don't see me needing 1/2" capabilities. When I do working on a project I may need the duty cycle of a pro machine, which the 211 doesn't have. The 212 also has the Auto set, which I like since i'm still learning. The 252 doesn't have auto set. I also think the you can use the 212 on 1/2" by using multiple passes as long as it's not for structural integrity. The 212 meet all my needs and in happy with it.

I'm nit trying to argue with you, but if there's something I don't know about why the 212 is a bad decision, I'd like to know. Also, I feel this info may be helpful to the OP.
    I never really said it was a bad decision , but for $400/500 more you get a lot more for your money. The digital read outs , additional amps , and the duty cycle is greater. The greater amps makes the machine more appealing IF you are considering a spool gun. A local supplier by me doesn't even stock the 212. If the 211 isn't enough he presents the 252 as the second option.
    It's like a Miller 180 or a 211. The 211 has more benefits for not too much more.
    Buy once and cry once. Plus you can't use amps you don't have.