APPLETON, Wis., March 15, 2011—Miller Electric Mfg. Co., Hobart Brothers and Bernard introduce the Big Blue® 350 PipePro® System: a fully integrated pipeline welding system that was designed with input from Pipeliners Local Union 798 to outfit pipeline welders with a seamless, rugged solution built to work in the demanding world of pipeline welding. The system is designed to produce steady and reliable arc characteristics in Stick welding, while providing enhanced MIG and Flux Cored welding performance for working with high-strength steels. Components of the system include:
- Miller’s Big Blue 350 PipePro: diesel engine-driven welder/AC generator provides 20 to 400 amps for both DC Stick (325 amps at 100 percent duty cycle) and DC TIG welding, 14 to 40 volts for MIG and Flux Cored welding (350 amps at 100 percent duty cycle) and 12,000 watt peak/10,000 watts continuous auxiliary generator power for running tools on site. The machine meets all Tier 4i requirements, lowers RPM to 1,850 (compared to 3,600 RPM) and reduces noise and lowers fuel use by as much as 50 percent compared to other units.
- Hobart Brothers Fabshield® 79T8: self-shielded, flux-cored tubular wire (E71T8-Ni1 J H8) that requires no shielding gas, features a fast-freezing slag that is easy to remove, performs well in all positions and is ideal for multi-pass welding on deep groove pipe weld butt joints. This wire is optimized within the system for welding on high-strength steel grades in demanding applications.
- Miller’s Wireless Remote Hand Control: allows welders to easily change settings at the point of use for added productivity, extends the remote control range to 300 ft., eliminates remote cord failures, eliminates clutter for improved safety, and improves weld quality with precise operator control thanks to its digital displays.
- Miller’s SuitCase® X-TREME™ 8 HD: voltage-sensing, heavy-duty wire feeder that features a high-torque motor for handling a wide variety of wire diameters and has dual schedule capability. Improved motor control allows for enhanced precision and arc control, while the feeder’s polypropylene case protects it from other environmental challenges of pipeline construction.
- Bernard’s PipePro Dura-Flux™ gun: features a replaceable liner that simplifies power cable maintenance, along with a dual schedule switch that easily connects to the SuitCase X-TREME HD’s dual schedule feature for wire feed speed adjustment while welding. Its comfortable handle and lightweight, rotatable Hi-Viz™ neck reduces user fatigue and improves weld puddle visibility. Its internal trigger leads prevent the trigger cord from getting caught on surrounding impediments and an advanced molded handle design protects the dual schedule switch from weld spatter.
Miller’s Home Page
Hobart Brothers’ Home Page
Bernard’s Home Page
“We’ve worked extensively with Miller on the development of this. It’s a strong machine that has good arc characteristics. You get the exact same amperage out of it every time you use it as opposed to a DC generator that varies with temperature. They can count on it being the same weld characteristics every time they strike an arc.”
—Farron Hollabaugh, director of training, Pipeline Local Union 798
“With the help of Local Union 798, we’ve built a system that sets a new standard for arc quality and consistency, gives pipeliners the flexibility to transition to Flux Cored welding for high-strength steels, and substantially reduces operating costs in terms of fuel use. The true end-to-end design of this system means that each component is optimized to work with the next, which will allow pipeline welders to excel the moment they put this system to work.
—Roger Hobrock, director - North American pipelines, Miller Electric Mfg. Co.
Additional System Information
The Big Blue 350 PipePro is available in an optional stainless steel package to withstand corrosive elements in harsh environments, and all models come standard with a LINE-X®-coated top cover for added durability and reliability. Miller’s “Vault”—a sealed aluminum casing—protects the machine’s circuit board from dirt, moisture and heat to ensure consistent operation, including unwavering arc steadiness and generator power. It’s smaller than most models (56-in. depth) and is designed to operate for 10,000 hours before the first basic overhaul.
The Big Blue 350 PipePro System’s rated outputs are tested and verified at 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Miller’s industrial engine drives are subjected to airborne dust and sand, humidity, corrosion, temperature extremes, shaking, vibration and continuous use as part of the rigorous testing process to ensure optimal performance in all conditions. Additional features include an engine temperature gauge, digital fuel gauge/hour meter/maintenance meter, engine block heater, digital preset weld meters, output contactor control, automatic idle and Miller’s Auto Remote Sense (ARS) that detects if a remote control is plugged into the 14-pin receptacle and eliminates confusion of a remote/panel switch.