Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding bandsaw blades

Has any one tried tig welding bandsaw blades? I don't want to buy a band saw blade welder if I don't have to. What filler would you use?
    Greg

Try this http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/sh...jig/index.html

The guy has some home built stuff that's pretty nice, I specially like the hyd press.
    Frank
    (aka Fred)
    MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
    Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
    Dynasty 300DX
    Spectrum 625
    Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
    Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
    Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

i have tig welded many bandsaw blades, once and a while it will brake at the weld, but seldom, and if it does you just weld it again!
    mm210
    maxstar 150

About a hundred years ago I got my first port-a-band, and acquired about 50-blades for the larger port-a-band. I made a jig somewhat like Fred shows, not near as elaborate tho . Cut the blades to the correct length, and Tig welded them. Had an extremely high success rate. Only suggestion I have is try your best to keep the teeth properly spaced. If you donít for some reason the miss spaced teeth will snag and tear a section of teeth out . Not that the blade will break, but you may have an inch or two without teeth, and thatís aggravating ! The blade will still cut, itís just aggravating to listen to it will cutting, (for me anyway)

My blade welder has an anneal function that turns the welded area dull red to return it to a softer and more flexible state. You could do this easily enough with a torch to treat the tig welded area so that it returns to the same state as the rest of the blade stock. let us know how it works out. JEFF
    200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

I should have noted mentioned that I silver solder my band saw blades. Can't tell you the alloy but the solder is wire about .060 in diameter and used with regular paste flux. I've been using it for years and never have broke a blade. I do use the blades on an old HF 14" work bandsaw if that matters. Soldering does eliminate the need for tempering.

That said I think I'll try tig on a couple, let us know how you fair on yours.
    Frank
    (aka Fred)
    MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
    Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
    Dynasty 300DX
    Spectrum 625
    Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
    Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
    Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

My neighbor has been Mig welding them and annealing after, they are for his woodmizer though so they are fairly big and he grinds them flush before the anneal. Seems to work. He was braining this up and down, finally I said, try it.

I tryied it once it broke befor I got it back on the machine never did it again

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Talking you cheap bugers

I did not know you welded things like that As far as I knew you just threw them out and got new ones? I have used them for gapping pipe when I spool off my truck. I have a stack of old blades about 6" long and they work well for that Ohh well each to ther own.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

A lot of times the larger vertical bandsaws have blade welders attached to the side of them that weld and anneal them. You just buy the blade in bulk and make the blades to fit.

Tobin
    MM251
    Miller Dialarc HF-P 310 Amp Tig
    Victor O/A Setup
    Lincolin 225Amp Buzzbox
    Cummins Freak