Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: plan's

i've seen some of the tandam axle trailers that come from the states with only one set of brakes ,, up here in canada its the law to have barakes on both axles for tamdem,, in my opinion it makes sense because usualy if you have tandam in most cases you are going to be hauling waight and should have brakes on both axles.
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

Default trailer brakes

You would be suprised at how many customers try to get me to build them trailers without brakes. Why? I have no idea, I have done repairs on dozens of trailers that were equipped with brakes but not hooked up. It makes no sense to me but what do I know, I just build them for a living. Nobody ever listens to the smart guy! Have you ever tried to stop in an emergency situation and barely made it, now try that with an extra couple thousand pounds strapped to your butt (with out brakes). IT WILL MAKE A BELIEVER OUT OF YOU. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Dabar39,
    Thanks a lot for your response to my friend's channel design. You make a lot of sense. I'm sure I'll start with a utility trailer for my friend's Harley, so I'll go with your advice
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

over the last year i've figured out how to build trailers with channel so it doesent flex,, it is fairly easy and cheap,, no notching or anything and it only requires channel and angleiron,, and one peice of tube for the toung. But as long as you build it properly channel is strong and cheap. ... about the brakes.. lol.. dabar have you ever seen a tri-axle without brakes?.. this guy brought a trailer to me for a new deck and all his 12" backing plates (6 in total) where missing magnets and shoes it was pretty much just a bare backing plate.. i made him buy new drums and brakes before it left my shop tho.. i diddent want to be responsible for letting that go on the road.
    Jorgensen MFG.
    www.ehhitch.com

Default bmxin: channel trailers

Don't get me wrong, I do build some of my equipment trailers with channel. I was refering to lite duty utility trailers. I know all trailers will have some amount of flex to them. The box tubing around here is about the same price as channel and I just prefer to work with it. As for the single arm tongue, I am not a big fan of those. If every one knew how to properly load a trailer I might say o.k. but I see so many trailers going down the road with the load all the way forward and the back bumper just about dragging down the road. I have changed a number of single arm tongues to a-frames after they have been bent by to much tongue weight. I try to idiot proof my trailers the best I can as 20 yrs. ago only professional people used them, now today every idiot owns one. I have seen some really stupid stuff here lately. Just the other day going down the interstate I saw a guy (thankfully pulled over by a d.o.t. officer) using a Ford Bronco II to tow a car trailer with a Ford f-550 4 door dump bed. the front of truck was tied down to trailer and rear wheels on the road and just this morning I passed a Dodge Dakota pulling a tandem dually trailer (at least a 20,000 lb'er) with a back hoe on it with six Mexicans sitting on the trailer. It just amazes me how ignorant some people really are in this area . Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default scoop on trailer brakes

Saw a post about USA made trailers having brakes only on one axle. Thats true, But here is the scoop in case anybody wants to build one. Trailers up to 3000 lbs GVWR do not need brakes. [most small trailers, boat trailers etc] Trailers from 3001 lbs to 10,000 lbs need brakes on at least one axle. Trailers over 10,000 lbs have to have brakes on all wheels. Usually on trailers that are less than 10,000 lbs gvw, one axle is enough to stop it. Less maintenance and initall cost. Where I work we have a bunch of trailers that aer 18000 GVW. They have 8 wheels on 2 axles. They use up brakes alot, but then they are hauling trenchers/backhoes.
    These are the State of Maryland regulations. From my experience Maryland is as strict or more strict than the federal regulations.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

most of my utility trailers i build i dont make an A-frame i just use a single tube with anglei-irons off it,, it seems plenty strong to me,, i dident start building utility trailers untill about the begining of 2006 so i dont have much experience with em ,, i am used to building Huge equiptment haulers, goosenecks, and pintle trailers .. in my eyes there usualy easier to to build than a custom utility trailer because most customers are pickey and cheap when it comes to small trailers... the construction guys just need a trailer and are happey with it usualy so it makes my life easier in the sensce i dont have to loose money on small trailers... hey dabar what size tube u use for a 4X8 utility with sides?
    Jorgensen MFG.
    www.ehhitch.com

Default Hmw ????

dude is it 3000Lbs where you are .. here it is 3500 LBS but as u said its more strict there.. hmm
    Jorgensen MFG.
    www.ehhitch.com

Yes, under 3000 Lbs doesn't need any brakes. Got vehicle code book right on my desk. Over 3001 lbs and up they do. So, if you had a trailer that had a GVW of 3500 lbs, it would have to have brakes on at least one axle. Maryland has pretty strict DOT rules. Sometimes more strict than the federal gov is. I looked it up in the Federal book and its also 3000 lbs there too.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default trailer info

You guy's are correct about the weights, but many (not all ) of the builders here in Fl. do not put brakes on their trailers, and more often than not I find trailers that have brake axle's that are not wired up. It makes no sense to me as most new trucks are pre wired for trailer brakes. It appears to me that most of the builders down here are in it for the quickest and cheapest way to make a profit, not for the quality and durability. On a 6' x 12' enclosed I found the floor joists were made from 14 ga sheet steel bent into a z shape and the main frame built with 2"x3"x14ga. tubing. Also a lot of these guy's are building 6'4" x 16' utility frames with 2"x3"x1/8" angle. As for your question bmxin, I try to stay away from that small of a trailer when I can. But I build mine depending on the customers actual use, in most cases I would use 2x3x3/16 angle on stuff like that. Anything over 12' I use 2x3x11ga or 2x4x11ga. but again it depends on what the primary function of the trailer is. And one more thing, you are right about the customers trying to nickel and dime you on the custom builds but I really get a feeling of pride and satisfaction doing something no one else has. Dave
    Last edited by dabar39; 03-27-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: 2x3x11ga. and 2x4x11ga. is refering to box tubing