Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plan's

Default plan's

where can I find drawing's or print's used for some of these nice trailer's and ideas I've seen.?

Default to fined or plans

one place you can go is northerntool.com they have some plans.in there catalog for 20.00 to 40.00 i dont like to buy plans. i would rather make my own. or you can do like i do lay in bed at night and think about it.
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

The best plans for trailers are the ones you think up All you need is some steel and a good welder and cut off saw because the trailer you want to bilud should meet your needs not want someone else has. But if you want some plans for trailers just email me and i see want i can do for you on that. Sometimes you just need a starting point to get going.

There are some basic plans at http://www.championtrailers.com/UTIL...AILER_KITS.HTM

They aren't real detailed but have some good instructions on axle location, which is very important to towability of a trailer.
    Lincoln Tombstone 180 AC
    Hobart Handler 120
    Millermatic 210
    Old Harris O/A setup
    Victor SuperRange II on propane
    Hypertherm Powermax 380
    Ryobi 14" chop saw
    Milwaukee Sawzall
    A bunch of grinders
    A lotta other tools

Check out my website at: Ed Eldridge's Race Page

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/projects/mboard/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1518&dateline=1167491  754

Default trailer plans

The best advice I can give about building a trailer is make it your own. Forget about what the other guy has, build what you need. I have built a couple of hundred trailers over the years and I don't think I have made two alike.
    Here are a few personal bits of my preference 1. up to 12 foot 2"x3"x3/16" angle frame is o.k. anything over 12' go to box tubing. 2. Use a 50 degree a-frame coupler whenever possible with tongue cut at 81" and set back 32" into trailer frame should give you about 46-48" tongue length. 3. set your axle at a 60/40 rearward split on single or tandem axle. 4. recess your tongue jack back about a foot, don't use hole in coupler as you won't be able to open a tailgate. 5. whenever possible use a 14 or 15" rim and tire for a number of reasons including stability, weight bearing ability, the bigger the tire the less it rotates the less it wears on the bearings. Two more things, put your lights in an area that you won't run into them walking around the trailer and also someplace they won't be broken off easilywhen backing up, I mount most of mine on the fender mounts. And the other thing is don't weld the fenders on the trailer cause it's not if you bang them into something it's when you bang it into something you'll be glad they are bolted on for easy replacement.
    Hope this will help, if you need any other advice or info let me know. I could send you some photos if you need them for example or ideas. Dave
    Also depending on where your'e from I could suggest some suppliers that I use
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default one more thing

I almost forgot, If you go with a tandem axletrailer check with your local laws as some states require at least one axle have brakes, some require a breakaway kit, and some states don't have a ordinance about it. I won't build a tandem without brakes on it. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Dabar39,
    thanks for posting more of your trailer pics. Friend of mine has been building custom boat trailers for years (he moved before I started welding) and he used ONLY C-channel. While other boat manufactures and people use box tubing, he said it just held the salt water in so the trailer rusted much faster. He built trailers for 16ft - 30ft and all with C-channel. Anything over 3000lbs, he would do a tandem. I think a couple of times he made a triple axle, but that was probably for the 30 footers. His tongue weight was 7-10% of the weight of the trailer and he cut the part where the sides turned into the front instead of bending them. I've seen all kinds...the angle iron like you said will probably be my first project though...I'd appreciate a copy of those plans also if you don't mind
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

BigEd36,
    thanks! I downloaded/printed the homepage, that had the specs AND the catalog!!!
    If anyone else has other websites, PLEASE share I think I have some websites somewhere, when I find them, I'll post 'em
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default channel frame

I don't like channel frames for utility trailers as the channel has a lot more flex to it than the box tubing does. The channel is fine for a boat where as the load is distributed evenly over the length of the trailer and height it not an issue. Building with channel you would have to build with 6" channel compared to 3 or 4" inch tubing, which in turn raises your trailer deck higher from the ground. I like to keep the deck about 18 to 21" from the ground, with channel you would be a few inches taller and believe it or not those few inches make a big difference in the way it tows, makes it easier to load, and also if you have to climb up and down off it all day long you would appreciate the lower deck height. Also box tubing is a lot simpler to work with in my opinion, I guess it has to do with personal preference. Dave

one more thought. Although building it yourself can be rewarding, and probably do a better job, sometimes its cheaper to buy one already built. Some of the big companys pay way less for steel than we do, so sometimes they can sell it for what it would cost you in steel not to mention your time. I built a dump trailer, tandem axle, for myself [for wife actually]. By the time I was done I had spent 2/3rds the cost of a new one on steel not to mention gas, filler metal, time etc. My wife has a landscaping business and is getting ready to need another trailer. I'm really wrestling with buying or building! just make sure you make an itemized materials list before you start. That might help you make up or mind. Unless, of course you just want to do it because we love to make stuff.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]