Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post
    Here is a picture of my 3-horse slant “Logan” trailer.
    You can’t really see it in this picture, but you should see how this 2 5/16-inch hinged ball socket head, and A-frame is welded on . Only words to describe the mig welding is bubble gum, (is that one word or two?)

You’ll never convince me Ray Charles didn’t weld it himself.

I work in commerical truck business and sad to say this is typical sh!t that I have to fix we are a DOT shop and nobody say's nothing but my manager Hey Darmik fix this crap

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    That's what you get when you hire welders for $10/hr. Sadly, there's an abundance of people that will weld for that much.

Not all $10. hr welders are the SH!TS But they are guilty of Association to the bad one's

Quote Originally Posted by Darmik View Post
    Not all $10. hr welders are the SH!TS But they are guilty of Association to the bad one's

If a $10/hr welder stays a $10/hr welder for very long, then they get what they deserve.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Cool $10 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    If a $10/hr welder stays a $10/hr welder for very long, then they get what they deserve.
    I disagree there are some pretty good kids out there KB you must agree your self that they are just working at the wrong place but they dont have the ***** to know when to leave for greener grass and get better

I disagree there are some pretty good kids out there KB you must agree your self that they are just working at the wrong place but they dont have the ***** to know when to leave for greener grass and get better
    If you don't go out and get the things you want in life, yes...you will be getting what you deserve. If you're too scared to go get a better job, then $10/hr is what you deserve.

You can't spend your life waiting on somebody to hand you opportunities.

That's why I said they get what they deserve. If you are good and can't stand up and take care of yourself, do you expect someone to do it for you? I wouldn't want someone like that working for me. It may be harsh but that's the world I work in.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Cool

well KB you are one of a kind employer you send your people to school every year for whatever lenght and when he or she gets back they get an automatic rase in pay I'm not an employer but I do have a say in what goes on in my world so I guess I would like to think that I have a hand in changing my little world and you in your's ( I'm not tring to be sarcastic I'm tring to under stand your point of view)I think you and I are talking about the same thing almost maybe it's my comperhension of what your saying.I still think people need a little push to get them going as long as they know your beside them when they finished school and not lay them off after they are finished
    school because now you have to pay them more I know this one all to well.

Default Darmik

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    If you don't go out and get the things you want in life, yes...you will be getting what you deserve. If you're too scared to go get a better job, then $10/hr is what you deserve.

You can't spend your life waiting on somebody to hand you opportunities.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmik
    well KB you are one of a kind employer you send your people to school every year for whatever lenght and when he or she gets back they get an automatic rase in pay I'm not an employer but I do have a say in what goes on in my world so I guess I would like to think that I have a hand in changing my little world and you in your's ( I'm not tring to be sarcastic I'm tring to under stand your point of view)I think you and I are talking about the same thing almost maybe it's my comperhension of what your saying.I still think people need a little push to get them going as long as they know your beside them when they finished school and not lay them off after they are finished
    school because now you have to pay them more I know this one all to well.
    I think you missed my point. Giving someone a little encouragement now and then is vastly different from an individual who chooses to live in mediocrity. I don't mind giving praise for good work but I don't want to have to hold anyones hand to get them to do what they need to do. I have one employee and I would bend over backwards to help him but not because he needs it. I would do it because he shows up when he is supposed to, does his job better than I have asked him to, and leaves the shop they way he found it, or better.

As far as compensation goes, I will pay you what you are worth. That means the quicker you get up to speed , and the less I have to hold your hand, the better you will do. Some employers miss the boat when determining the value of employees. By that I mean they value having a position filled over having that same position occupied with someone who is skilled. Most of the time you have to pay for that and I would rather have a skilled employee, and pay for it, than to just have a revolving door in the shop.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I recently came across a Welder Certification "D.O.T. 814.884" while reading a welding training course description. I was unable to find a description of the reg via Google, Yahoo, or AWS. Can any one enlighten me.
    Woodman,

Were you looking at this page? http://rop.sutter.k12.ca.us/agriculture/11_wt.html

I think that DOT stands for "Dictionary of Occupational Titles." If I am correct then 814.884 is a welder who performs explosion welding of some sort... I think that 884 should be 684 and that they have other typos as well.

Here is an excerpt from the list:
    WELDER, COMBINATION (welding) 819.384-010
    WELDER, EXPERIMENTAL (welding) 819.281-022
    WELDER, EXPLOSION (welding) 814.684-010
    WELDER-FITTER (welding) 819.361-010
    WELDER-FITTER APPRENTICE (welding) 819.361-014
    Welder-Fitter, Arc (welding) 819.361-010
    Welder-Fitter, Gas (welding) 819.361-010
    welder-fitter helper (any industry) 801.687-014
    Welder, Flux-Cored Arc (welding) 810.384-014
    WELDER, GAS (welding) 811.684-014
    welder, gas, automatic (welding) 811.482-010
    Welder, Gas-Metal Arc (welding) 810.384-014
    Welder, Gas-Tungsten Arc (welding) 810.384-014
    WELDER, GUN (welding) 810.664-010
    Welder, Hand, Submerged Arc (welding) 810.384-014

Here is a link:
    http://www.occupationalinfo.org/

Regards,
    Bill
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Default makes more sense to me

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX