Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Question DOT Welder Certification

I recently came across a Welder Certification "D.O.T. 814.884" while reading a welding training course description. I was unable to find a description of the reg via Google, Yahoo, or AWS. Can any one enlighten me.

Thanks,
    Woodman

The "D.O.T." would lead me to believe that it's a federal document. What the Department of Transportation would be testing weldors for, I can't imagine. I'd think it would be more of a regulatory type thing.

The DOT has a website....

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

I used to do consulting work for Heil Trailers. They told me (and their customers) that all welding was in accordance to DOT specs... yet I was unable to find anything about DOT welding specs. ...nobody in the building knew anything about it either. But, they didn't have a single guy in the shop that was properly certified when I started there. All they did was a face bend test, no root bend at all.

I don't know anything about any DOT qualifications or certifications or specs, but if you've seen some of the welds I have on some trailers (semi's) built by well-known and reputable manufacturers, you'd think twice about venturing out on the highways . . .

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    but if you've seen some of the welds I have on some trailers (semi's) built by well-known and reputable manufacturers, you'd think twice about venturing out on the highways . . .
    Here is a picture of my 3-horse slant “Logan” trailer.
    You can’t really see it in this picture, but you should see how this 2 5/16-inch hinged ball socket head, and A-frame is welded on . Only words to describe the mig welding is bubble gum, (is that one word or two?)

You’ll never convince me Ray Charles didn’t weld it himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post
    Here is a picture of my 3-horse slant “Logan” trailer.
    You can’t really see it in this picture, but you should see how this 2 5/16-inch hinged ball socket head, and A-frame is welded on . Only words to describe the mig welding is bubble gum, (is that one word or two?)

You’ll never convince me Ray Charles didn’t weld it himself.

That's what you get when you hire welders for $10/hr. Sadly, there's an abundance of people that will weld for that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    That's what you get when you hire welders for $10/hr. Sadly, there's an abundance of people that will weld for that much.
    Almost makes you want to fly to Logan Utah, look up the QC guy for Logan trailers and slap him upside the head, for every letting that leave the factory!

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    Ahhhh true. Not this ole' boy.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    Ahhhh true. Not this ole' boy.
    Me neither... If $10 was enough for my needs, I'd deliver pizza, make about $15-25/hr, and be happy with it. It's rare for a pizza delivery person to average under $10/hr.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    I don't know anything about any DOT qualifications or certifications or specs, but if you've seen some of the welds I have on some trailers (semi's) built by well-known and reputable manufacturers, you'd think twice about venturing out on the highways . . .

Hey Calweld up here we have the same problem