Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Is a Solar 2175 worth it?

I found a local autobody shop thats having a close out sale. I was interested in their Solar 2175 Wire Fed Gas Mig Welder. It comes with all the accessories, large 80cfm tank, and it allows you to select cool timer features for spot welding ect.

Here's a description:
    SOL-2175 SOLAR 130-AMP AUTO BODY MIG WELDER
    Designed especially for use in auto body repair shops. Precisely calibrated controls let you reset quickly with minimum knob twisting. Trim design fits easily in tight work bays. Cart lets you take the welder, gas bottle and supplies where you need them. Weld steel thickness from 26 gauge to 1/4" in a single pass, welds up to 1/4" aluminum with no expensive attachments. Welds in all positions- vertical, horizontal, overhead or flat. The unique wire feed mechanism accommodates .024, .030 and .035 inch wire. Wire feed is infinitely adjustable from 50 to 700 inches per minute. A nine position heat selector, spot weld duration selector, switch weld duration and interval selector give you exactly the type of weld you need. Sold with cart, gun, wall receptacle, ground cable, contact tips, 3 nozzles, 2 drive rollers, steel and teflon liners.

Anyone know anyhting about these machines? Are they worth it. Been finding them for around $1500-2500 brand new.

Why would you spend that kind of money for a *******ized off brand, you could get a brand new Miller 210 for around that or less not including the bottle and it has twice the power.

The similar 2160 sells for just $967 at Tool Source.

Designed especially for use in auto body repair shops...
    If you really believe that, you'll be much better off buying the swampland I'm selling in Arizona...

As Cary said, get the MM210 - it will eat the Solar for lunch and have room for desert. About $1300 from these stores on eBay.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

Wink

Swampland in Arizona? What a concept! LOL

Well I forgot to mention those prices are retail brand new. This is used and I can get it for $500.

Dont you think that might make a slight difference? Ok, its still a pass, the only redeeming value is the bottle in this whole deal and lets just say its worth 250 tops if its full that leaves 250 for the machine which would make it about retail value brand new in a discount store so its still a pass. I would be throwing another 250 at this deal and get a brand new 140. You will have something that works a good long time instead of one of those dust collectors that no one is quite sure, is it me or is it this welder? Your experience will be less than satisfactory. There are some cheap machines that work but you pays your money and takes your chances, I had a piece of crap weed eater that run forever, hey it happens, we tried to wear it out. I got 3 or 4 others that had 10 or 20 hr service life. I since bought a premium eater, lasts a long time with abuse, same with a chainsaw, one with enough power lasts and does the job. A welder is that way too, it dont mean you cant use a pos, but chances are it wont work as well and wont last the avg guy a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Dont you think that might make a slight difference? Ok, its still a pass, the only redeeming value is the bottle in this whole deal and lets just say its worth 250 tops if its full that leaves 250 for the machine which would make it about retail value brand new in a discount store so its still a pass. I would be throwing another 250 at this deal and get a brand new 140. You will have something that works a good long time instead of one of those dust collectors that no one is quite sure, is it me or is it this welder? Your experience will be less than satisfactory. There are some cheap machines that work but you pays your money and takes your chances, I had a piece of crap weed eater that run forever, hey it happens, we tried to wear it out. I got 3 or 4 others that had 10 or 20 hr service life. I since bought a premium eater, lasts a long time with abuse, same with a chainsaw, one with enough power lasts and does the job. A welder is that way too, it dont mean you cant use a pos, but chances are it wont work as well and wont last the avg guy a lifetime.
    I do agree, better would be a HH140, a MM140, a Lincoln 140, a Thermal Arc (whatever model name the 120V is), or maybe a used 135 of any of the listed brands IMHO.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Well my tig is a Thermal Arc 185W. I love that fricken thing. Powerful as **** for such a small package and such a good price. Great machine.

So even if I get this whole thing, I could make some money reselling it and I could get a 210 maybe used for under a grand? I know the value of the bottle alone is worth it. I am gonna test the welder before I buy anyways. I know someone will buy the thing for what I paid minus the tank.

Funny thing is my current mig died on my last summer. It's a cheap $100 Chicago Electric. It works on and off. The guy is interested in it. I'm hoping he'll knock off $100 so it'll be $400 for the whole setup. Hey, kill two birds with one stone.

Default nope

NOPE it isn't

So even if I get this whole thing, I could make some money reselling it ...
    To whom

That welder is a 130 amp unit made by Century Electric ... not exactly a household name like Miller. As Sundown said, it looks about equal to a HH140 -- those sell for $450, no tax, free shipping. You'd be really lucky to sell a no-name, used, 130 MIG for $200, if that.

You could lose money reselling it. That thing's a dog.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot