Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Give it to me straight about my weld

Ok, i was at welding class tonight, instructor had us t welding 1/16" plate fillet welds. im new to mig welding, heck, im new to welding period but from what you can see...what could i do to make this a better weld? or what did i do wrong if anything...thanks guys

Oh, and the spatter was not from this weld, it was from me butt welding different pieces. just so ya know....cuz i know someone was gonna say something about it..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.5 KB, 433 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (92.9 KB, 375 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (78.8 KB, 343 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (80.4 KB, 324 views)

a couple more pics
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (85.4 KB, 255 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (68.0 KB, 205 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (70.1 KB, 245 views)

well, that's certainly looking pretty good, great profile, decent tie-in, I'd turn the voltage up a touch and try to get the toes to wet in a bit better. Looking good. How was your penetration?

here is a pic of the penetration...i would have liked to had more....but like u said, i think i should have turned up the voltage a tad...
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (49.6 KB, 340 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (40.3 KB, 265 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (52.2 KB, 243 views)

Those pictures show the heat affected zone well, but the penetration is hard to gauge. To get a better idea of penetration, make a cross-sectional cut of your coupon so we can see the pentration of the weld into the parent material.

ok, i will do that tomorrow at work. i have to get to bed now, its 1am and 5am comes early...i will post the cross cut tomorrow night and see what we have then....thanks coal...

Quote Originally Posted by ftgokie View Post
    ok, i will do that tomorrow at work. i have to get to bed now, its 1am and 5am comes early...i will post the cross cut tomorrow night and see what we have then....thanks coal...
    Sounds good, glad to be of some help

Turn the voltage down, and or wfs up.

What ever gun manipulation you are doing, could also be launching those dingle berrys, got to be mindful of crossing over and back too much into your puddle.
    Your toes are coming out the way the are because of your pattern (gun manipulation), try a different 'pause' if you want a change there. There is more splatter on 1 plate vs. the other, changing travel angle while working your weave could be one cause.

{simple stringers arn't fancy, but they work too**

Quote Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
    Turn the voltage down, and or wfs up.

What ever gun manipulation you are doing, could also be launching those dingle berrys, got to be mindful of crossing over and back too much into your puddle. {simple stringers arnt fancy, but they work too**
    Did you even read his post and look at all the photos? From the looks of it, I suspect he is stepping, not doing an exagerated weave, so as long as he's keeping the puddle hot he should be fine for thin material like that, but I could be wrong. I agree, sometimes plain old stringers are best.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    Did you even read his post and look at all the photos? From the looks of it, I suspect he is stepping, not doing an exagerated weave, so as long as he's keeping the puddle hot he should be fine for thin material like that, but I could be wrong. I agree, sometimes plain old stringers are best.

Yes.

If he changes nothing but only increases the voltage, he will get more splatter and less penetration.

Oh,but you are right I did miss the part in his first post about 'butt weld causing splatter'