Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: heater fuel

Default heater fuel

I bought a 55,000 btu multi fuel heater (torpedo?) to use in the garage.

Says it will burn diesel, jet fuel or kerosene. Diesel 1 and 2 are cheapest but which will burn cleanest?

Pretty sure k1 burns the cleanest, in the instruction manual I read online it says diesal can be used, but will cause a smell.

kerosene,but #1 diesel would be better than #2.

We have two of these ... best results are with Kerosene.

We have burned K1 and it does well.

Basically it boils down to cost. Never checked to see if one is more efficient then the other.

I have a Desa 55,000 (I think) Haven't looked at the book in a long time but I don't remember anything about diesel. If you go the Kero route try to find a bulk supplier since you can go rapidily to the poor house buying in the 2.5 and 5 gal. containers. I paid $15 for 5 gallons at a co-op while Tractor Supply is getting over $36 plus tax for a 5 gal. can.
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

WOW ... Tractor Supply is gouging people.

We have regular olfd gas stations selling K1 Kerosene for $2.50 - $2.80 per gallon. Looks like your TSC is getting $7.00 +. Is that TSC selling actual Kerosene at that price or is it that synthetic " cleaner " burning stuff?

Home Depot sells that CLEAN burn stuff in 1 Gallon cans for about $7 - $8.

We used to use those wick type kersosene heaters, you know the round ones that sit on the floor. They worked OK but seemed to take longer to heat things up. Also we found out with those that if you set the heat too low you got more odor out of them. We still have one we use on our enclosed but unheated sun deck.

I have 2, 100,000 btu heaters, and I run diesel in them with no problems. The 1 heater has been running diesel for over 15yrs. I just use diesel out of convinence, cause we have a 300 gallon bulk tank outside for the tractors.
    Millermatic 180 DC,Miller Spoolmatic 3,Miller HF-251-D1 __ Lincoln Cobramatic/Cobramatic Gold
    Millermatic 200 with pulse/spot/burnback panel DC ______Lincoln Idealarc Tig 300/300 AC/DC
    Miller ECONO twin HF 150 AC/DC .____________________ Lincoln Idealarc R3R 300 DC
    Miller Trailblazer 250G AC/DC (20hp. Onan) .____________ Lincoln Buzz box 225/125 AC/DC
    O/A Harris, Purox, Victor, Torchweld (To many to list) .___AIRCO wire feeder

Those little heaters work nice. In smaller spaces they have a decided stink when run on diesel, K1 is better on the nose.
    In a larger space the diesel smell isn't really noticable, unless your working right ontop of it. For scale, small space - ~2000sqft const site, larger space, 50Ksqft warehouse.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    WOW ... Tractor Supply is gouging people.

We have regular olfd gas stations selling K1 Kerosene for $2.50 - $2.80 per gallon. Looks like your TSC is getting $7.00 +. Is that TSC selling actual Kerosene at that price or is it that synthetic " cleaner " burning stuff?

Home Depot sells that CLEAN burn stuff in 1 Gallon cans for about $7 - $8.

We used to use those wick type kersosene heaters, you know the round ones that sit on the floor. They worked OK but seemed to take longer to heat things up. Also we found out with those that if you set the heat too low you got more odor out of them. We still have one we use on our enclosed but unheated sun deck.
    5 gallon cans of keresene. My guess is it may go through an extra filter in order to be cleaner burning.
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Cool

Kero and Jet fuel is almost the same thing, the only difference is Jet fuel won't freeze at 30,000 feet. I would choose the Kero first than the #1 second. Just my thought since i make the stuff...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48