Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question about purchase

I am thinking about buying a Trailblazer 302 and am wondering if I'll have any trouble running my Lincoln mig off of the aux. power? I thought I remembered someone posting having trouble running a mig unit off of the power of this welder but can't find the thread.

I am currently running a Lincoln Ranger8 and my mig runs well on this unit.

Thanks for any help.

what kind of mig?
    suitcase feeder running off 14pin?
    or mig machine running off auxillary power?

I have a trailblazer 280
    the arc is excellent on wire stick or tig
    as well as excellent arc starts , no sputtering on wire, no sticking rods on stick
    past welding instructor
    CWI
    business owner

It's a SP 135 T 220 volt that I'll be running off the axu. power.

Default 302

You'll have to buy an adapter cord for about $75 because the 220 plug on the machine is full KVA (?) but heck yeah! You'll love it.
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

Quote Originally Posted by shortarc View Post
    It's a SP 135 T 220 volt that I'll be running off the axu. power.
    That's a 120V unit, so I'll assume you meant the SP175T. You will have no problems running this unit from aux. power. I ran a Millermatic 175 from my 301G and it's got more electronics than your tapped unit. I've also run Maxstar inverters and a Millermatic Passport with no problems.

Get a short length of 10/3 SJOOW cord (or however long you want it to use as an extension cord at the same time) as well as the ends. For the male end, you need a NEMA 14-50P and for the female end, you need a NEMA 6-50R or NEMA 6-50C. There will be no wire on the middle flat of the male NEMA 14-50P, and you don't even need to install that prong, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That's a 120V unit, so I'll assume you meant the SP175T. You will have no problems running this unit from aux. power. I ran a Millermatic 175 from my 301G and it's got more electronics than your tapped unit. I've also run Maxstar inverters and a Millermatic Passport with no problems.

Get a short length of 10/3 SJOOW cord (or however long you want it to use as an extension cord at the same time) as well as the ends. For the male end, you need a NEMA 14-50P and for the female end, you need a NEMA 6-50R or NEMA 6-50C. There will be no wire on the middle flat of the male NEMA 14-50P, and you don't even need to install that prong, in fact.
    Thanks for all the help. It's a SP 130 T Its about 5 or 6 years old and it is a 220 volt unit. I think the adapter that I already have made up that I use on my Ranger is the same thing, big round four prong plug goes in to the welder.

shortarc, just trying to be helpful but the Lincoln 130 series are 120v machines like Mac said. I think this will make difference in your plug needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911man View Post
    shortarc, just trying to be helpful but the Lincoln 130 series are 120v machines like Mac said. I think this will make difference in your plug needs.
    Ok I just went out to the garage and took this picture. Supposed to be worth a thousand words
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default SP-130T Input Power Requirements

I don't own one, and don't have a bone to pick either way, but according to the owners manual for the SP-130T, it comes equipped with a NEMA 6-50R Plug and requires input of 20/22 amps at 230/208 volts. See the attached excerpts from the manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

That's interesting, I have a sp135t and its 120v.