Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Are you happy with your Milwaukee dry cut saw?

I'm thinking about buying one.

Are they good or bad?

How long have you had it in service?

If you're careful, do the blades last?

Any tips if I wind up getting it?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    MM135
    MM210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme

Which one...8" or 14"??

I have the 8" and really like it. Use the crud out of it..way more than I expected to. I also have a DeWalt 14" dry saw...that one is great as well. It you want straight clean cuts, go for it. You won't be disappointed.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I have the 14" straight cuts are great with it, somewhere there is another post about the dry cuts, if you need it for mobile use/really really small shop its great
    But, the fence leave alot to be desired when it come to miter cutting, the blade life is good, untill one of your buddys that always use the abrasives saws trys to cut with it and burns the blade out in 2 cuts
    So as I said if you dont have the room or need mobile its great but IMHO if I was looking at a saw with what I know now... I would go with the grizzly swivel head bandsaw
    Wolf~

Whats in the shop~
    Dynasty 200DX "wtf are all these buttons for?"
    MM210
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma "for precision cutting, like using a hatchet as a wood chisel"
    Protools 105hd tubing bender
    Milwaukee Drycut saw
    Bunch o other tools...

Oh, forgot to mention, with the dry cuts you can send the blade out for sharping, I send mine out though my local fastenal store, think its about $35(US) or so for sharping, but it does take alittle while to have it done (think it was 1-2 weeks if I remember right)
    Wolf~

Whats in the shop~
    MM210
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma "for precision cutting, like using a hatchet as a wood chisel"
    Milwaukee Drycut saw
    Bunch o other tools...

Default Cost

Where do you buy replacement blades and app. how much do they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by wayneiam View Post
    Where do you buy replacement blades and app. how much do they cost?
    for me finding them local is a pain and spendy, last one I picked up local was $180 for the dewalt blade, to be honest the best place I have seen to get them is Amazon.com, the Milwaukee blades (72tooth) are around 135-140 and the dewalt 70t blade I just ordered 2 days ago (and already received) was $99 w/ free shipping
    Wolf~

Whats in the shop~
    MM210
    Milwaukee Drycut saw
    Bunch o other tools...

Quote Originally Posted by KLboxeR View Post
    I'm thinking about buying one.

Are they good or bad?

How long have you had it in service?

If you're careful, do the blades last?

Any tips if I wind up getting it?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    More Info to add I've had my saw about 3 years, the blades do last if your careful, most of my blade resharpings have come from trying cut things that really shouldnt have gone in the saw in the first place (odd shaped bent metal, things too short for the vice to hold it) that only accounts for 2 blades, and the last one was from 2-3 diffrent friends using the saw in a 4 day span working on one of their rigs and none of them have a dry cut saw
    I also forgot (and was reminded after I just cut something about 2 mins ago in the saw) that it does throw chips/slivers everywhere, easy to clean up but keep it in mind when using one cause some of the chips are like metal splinters and they are all sharp and you want to sweep them up asap (I sweep up before I even take the metal out of the saw), when I sharp I mean really sharp, I had my plasma rig next to the saw and used it before sweeping, spent the next 40 mins pulling the small chips out of the insulation on both leads and the cord
    Have even gotten a metal spliter in my hand while washing my hair after getting out of the shop from chips getting in my hair

Oh and if you cut alot of tube on it, be sure to dump the chips out of them before you go far from the saw, that makes a mess as well... ask me how I know
    Wolf~

Whats in the shop~
    MM210
    Milwaukee Drycut saw
    Bunch o other tools...

I have one of these saws and if you use it right and dont let the blade heat up the life on the blade is pretty reasonable. I had two blades so that while one was getting resharpened (35.00 if no teeth are broken) I would have another to keep cutting with. I recently picked up a Tenryu 90 tooth carbide tipped blade and it is sweet. You do need to be carefull with the machine like everything else. Someone else mentioned another thread and I remember there was some good information there too.
    [B]Trail Blazer 302
    Suitcase X-TREME 12VS
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Coolmate 4
    Millermatic 175
    Millermatic 251
    HT Powermax 180
    Victor O/A
    DeWalt DW872 Chop Saw
    Lathe
    Milling Machine
    Bandsaw
    No matter how hard I try, I always hear about the other guy who can do it better, faster and cheaper. Sure would like to meet him someday but no one seems to be able to find him when I ask. [B]

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I put a reconditioned unit ($369) on order from CPO. I made sure it came with a new blade, I'd hate to get an abused blade on a recon unit since it's close to half the price of the saw

Chris
    MM135
    MM210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme

this is where i got mine from, had it 2 days later with the extra blade.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MILWAUKEE-NEW-14...QQcmdZViewItem

great price and service!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear