Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Woodworking or Metal working

SO im setting up the shop again just re araging stuff. If you guys had to pick one would it be metal working or wood working? I have tools for both but one will have to sit in a corner until needed. what would you guys do?

Cool

Metal has my vote. I have both also but like the metal better....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I can't get by with one or the other. I need both. So, all of my machines are portable! There's either a commercially made mobile base or a shop-built mobile base on everythng that's too heavy to lift and move easily. The table saw and the runout table pretty much stay in the center, but there's a top on the saw table so it acts as a bench when not in use.

My indoor welding table is on casters, all my machines are on carts, and the O/A rigs are on carts. The press brake is on wheels. The metal bandsaw is portable.

The wood bandsaw, the planer, and the joiner are all rolled into a corner when not needed. When I need to drag 'em out, the welding machines go in that spot. There are two rolling tool cabinets, and plenty of shelf storage for hand tools.

A new, heated, 30' x 60' shop would solve all my problems, though.....

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

I cant exactly roll machine around. I was thinking keeping my 10x10 shop for storage and using outside and inside for working. Machines around the walls and the center used for storing the machines thatb get used outside. Does that sound like a good idea?

I have a bit of machinery for both wood and metal. Keeping them on wheels is a must as we are constantly shifting the shop around to accomodate different types of projects. If you put any equipment on wheels, try to use a decent size castor, as it will roll much, much, much easier and won't get caught on the small stuff.

I hope these pics work out, as it is my first time posting any pictures here and my archives are a mess.

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pics of main area

I guess I can only upload 5 at a time. I hope these are the right ones.

I should have posted these in that "shop pics" thread that was running a while back. I know it looks a bit cluttered and crazy, but we get the job done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

clinton I guess it all boils down to what interests you the most. For me its the metal . cant really say to much about wood. But didnt you say you were going to school for welding...or am I mistaken?
    And like Harcosparky said DONT LET YOURSELF BE BAITED INTO IT
    people say they have a problem with you....BUT seem to want to respond to whatever you post. Dont worry about it and it will be alright

I started with welding and then i jumped in with a group jewlery box project and then im going back to welding, the teacher wants all these carts for ever machine he has. I will get some pics of an econotig cart i made which came out pretty nicely. Its almost like im being ripped in half when i walk in the room. the dewalt table saw is pulling me one way and the miller welders are pulling me the other way. When we have a day off from school ive gone in anyway and welded with the teacher.

As for the other people who want to carry on threads for 4 pages, let them have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by hankj View Post
    I can't get by with one or the other. I need both.

A new, heated, 30' x 60' shop would solve all my problems, though.....

Hank

Yeah wouldn't that be nice. If I had a heated 30 X 60 shop it would be divided in half with a wall making two 30 X 30 shops. 50% Wood / 50% Metal.

Actually we are thinking of a new building after the kids are all out of the house.

Maybe a 3,000 sq ft building ..... garage/shop on the lower level ( basement/1st floor ) and two floors above that for living space for the wife and myself. Three floors, 1,000 sq ft on each one. I would be happy with my 1,000 ft, living area could get say 1500, and the wife could get 500 for her hobby/interests. ( sewing and painting )

One great thing about sewing is the tooling cost are significantly less than wood or metal working.
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill