Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    It's all economics, supply and demand, tends to level everything out. Learn to live with it.

The free market system is a beautifull thing, but it requires modification in a few areas and this is one. Area standards must be upheld for the market to work. Without strong efforts to uphold area standards your area, more than most, would be in trouble. California is one of the more expensive states to live, and wages are high there because of that. You make what I assume is a comfortable living in that state but if the market was left totally unrestrained you wouldn't be able to afford a home or to feed the kids working as a welder because there would be large numbers of Plillipino's, housed in man camps and off shore barge quarters doing all of the welding in California for a few bucks per hour (this is the reality in some countries right now). The Phillipino's would be living high on the hog in their home economy, but the prospects for local Californians to make a living welding would be non existent. At that point you have the option to pursue a career as a lawyer or a politician because every other occupation will have been manned by third world transient workers.
    So efforts to preserve area standards, in my opinion, are a worthwhile and needed modification the the system. A ballance has to be made for the vastly different cost of living in various areas of the world/country.
    Fierce competition of course still has a significant place, just not unfair competition from people who don't have to and never will live on the local economy.

My take, take it for what you paid for it.

JTMcC, who has never undercut prices in any area of the world he's worked in

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    well there's definitely a couple ways of looking at it, some just lay down and take it up the @ss and some raise a little ****, which is better it probably more personal preference than anything else. However, Cal you and I both know that just becuase we live in free countries doesn't mean business and economics will always work out for the best on their own. In fact, I suspect you'd agree that counting on the finances to work out on their own would be a naive way of managing a business
    So what do you suggest??? I go to these customers and demand they pay my price, even though somebody else is cheaper??? Or maybe contact some "family" and arrange for some "leg breaking" if they won't cooperate????

No, being in Business means you constantly adjust your services and products, you grow and adapt, to meet changing demands and markets over time. If I was still doing what I was doing 20-odd years ago, I'd still be living in a little 20 foot camp trailer behind somebody's house.

I agree somewhat with caweld we have all adjusted are prices to get a little work.

No, you misunderstand, I have never adjusted my price anywhere but up! Only thing I do adjust is the service I provide, either my skills, my equipment, or the market I target.

sorry if I misunderstood what I meant was that Ive bid a projects before and had to cut cost either on material mark up or hourly pricing as far as maybe not figuring the time to go get the materials or the time it took to bid the
    job I would never drop my price to get a job knowning it would affect others

And I suspect your markets offer much greater short term stability than ours up here. When a natural resource industry up here takes a hit or has a slowdown, it can have huge repercussions on a large scale populus, not just industry specific employees.
    Well, we do have a little micro-economic climate here, grapes and wineries are a big influence, both have been down for the last few years, somehow I muddle thru . . .

how did you get them extra words in there without it saying you edited your post? You must have some sort of computer god powers
    I'm fast. Kind of like re-adjusting business priorities

Default coalsmoke

you got me on that one looking at the big picture you are in fact taking money out of your pocket, if the competition in my areas thought like alot of you guys it would be alot easier place to run a buisness. But here in KY, we compete with none certified and non insured on a daily basis I lost a job a couple months ago to another welder that told the contractor he could do the welding for 40.00 an hour.

heh heh heh, ok, I'll drink some vino to that
    Just make sure it's CALIFORNIA wine, not that cheap Aussie or Argentina stuff!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pipeline Dan View Post
    If it was me Id say stay the f*ck where you are, There is money to be made out here for sure but thats what is f*ck'en the whole thing up, guys brining there rigs to Alberta for work and taking a pay cut just to get the job mean
    while the wage your get right now was that way cause we made them pay us
    that before we would work, I dont care if you come out to better your selves
    but you guys are taking jobs for less money Example of this is, my rate
    for pipeline last year was 110-115, I'll be luckey if I see 85-100 this winter
    the oil companies say we where charging to much last winter, So now they bring guys in from out east who will do it for less money, I am telling you right now, The reason why we wanted that rate cause it cost alot to live here, Down the road you'll see for yourself what I am talking about, You guys just see $$$$$ but there is a reason why we need that kind of money. One thing
    I'd like to know is how do you come out here to work and not have a Alberta ticket or any kind of school behind you and get work Why would
    do I have to go to school and you dont. If your welding out pipe do you have
    a "B" ticket, If you dont why do I have to have one. I have no problem with you coming here to work, But dont f*ck it up for us that have paid our dos and made the rate for what it is today. Turn it the other way around, You guys from out east have lots of work and I come out to work and do it for cheaper and you sit at home Call me an SOB I give a rats a*s Im just trying to shed some light from a rig welders point of view from Alberta.
    I am sure other guys feel this way as well

You're frequent throwing of the "F" bomb shows a real lack of class. You've displayed your particular lack of class repeatedly now. There are young kids, girls and women with an interest in welding, your language is low rent.
    Maybe you talk to your wife and children that way but most civilized people don't. I suggest you get a grip on your tongue. If that makes you as mad as my other post's, my offer to you still stands.

JTMcC.