Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Syncrowave 250 wiring question

I have a syncrowave 250 that was purchased used from a manufacturing facility. It was taken from the production line and has been stored for approx. 18mos.

I have a copy of the owner's manual and followed the guide for a 220v hookup, I have reconfigured the jumpers accordingly. Upon switching on the power, the 50a circuit breaker used to supply current to the welder trips instantly.

I am aware that the machine requires 74A at full load, but does it require more than 50A at start-up with no output load?

The machine is wired with a 50A outlet and approximately 20' of #6 cord, and I verified the open circuit voltage at the line-in lugs.

I have read the thread about adequate power hookups, the debate about using 50A plugs, etc...

I would appreciate any help.

turbo38t Guest

I used a 50 amp on mine with no prob. Dave

I'm not an electrian or even a qualified welder, but I am a maintenance guy. After read this the first thing I would check is the connections you made. I've gotten to the point where I thought I was right and it didn't work. I recheck my work find out I flubbed up a step or a wire fix it and it works. Not saying anything against you but it happens.

I have miswired something on occasion too,,, hahahaha

You might check and see if yours has the power factor correction caps. If it does that mighr explain the trip.
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Talking Wiring Question

Who me , miswire some thing!
    Think Alot
    Learn Alot
    Read Alot
    And Then Do It Again & Again

You might check and see if yours has the power factor correction caps. If it does that mighr explain the trip
    The pf caps make the machine efficient at its rated capacity but inefficient at idle/low heat settings. I am not sure if the caps would make it draw more than 50a at idle but something to consider. I run a Lincoln tig 275 off of a 50a breaker and easily get 150a output before tripping the breaker (no pfc)

Thanks for the help. I didn't think of power correction caps. The machine came from a major manufacturing facility and that is a likely possibility. I have been over and over the connections without discovering a problem thus far.

For those who are wired to 220v, the jumpers are across the lower two pairs of terminals if you look at the connection board the way it is mounted in the welder. Does this sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by glockdoc View Post
    The pf caps make the machine efficient at its rated capacity but inefficient at idle/low heat settings. I am not sure if the caps would make it draw more than 50a at idle but something to consider. I run a Lincoln tig 275 off of a 50a breaker and easily get 150a output before tripping the breaker (no pfc)
    I was thinking the pfc's would draw a few amps on start up. They should have bleeder resisters to discharge them when the power is off. ( safety )
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Blow the welder out real good before turning it on again. It is amazing what dust & cob webs will do to short things out. I had a similar thing happen to my 330 ABP but instead of tripping the breaker it would blow the main control fuse. If my welder sits for any length of time I blow it out before using it.
    Bob Kraemer/Licensed Electrical Contractor

Miller 330 ABP
    Tree Mill W/DRO
    South Bend Lathe
    Tennsmith Brake
    Tennsmith Shear
    Beverly Throatless Shear
    JD/2 Bead roller
    O/A Torch
    Drill Press
    Grinders, Belt Sander Etc!
    And more hand tools than I know what to do with