Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wire wheel on grinder ?

I tried installing a wire wheel on my 6 inch craftsman bench grinder, and I'm having nothing but headachs. Does the inner and outer shield need to come off ? Also is it normal that when you apply light pressure ( enough to take off a sharpie mark ) that the wire wheel stops spinning but the bench grinder keeps spinning around ?

no thats not normal man. You should have a bushing fo the center and two concave washers at each side to sort of bind the wheel.
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

I figured it out, the instructions were horrible. Still seems a little weak. When using a wire wheel, should you have to push a little ?

Quote Originally Posted by tigman47 View Post
    I figured it out, the instructions were horrible. Still seems a little weak. When using a wire wheel, should you have to push a little ?
    I put a wire wheel on my old 6" craftsman, and yeah you can stop the wheel very easily.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Wire wheels generally present more contact area to the work - many bench grinders lack the oomph to drive them. You probably want 1HP or more for it to be effective.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

I use a wire wheel a lot and my 6" grinder just wasnt enough without a real light touch - got an 8" and it works better. Still could stop it though if work is pushed too hard.

Someday I will get one of those big old bench grinders that make the electric meter sing

actualy i have found with my 6" wire wheel it works better if you dont push hard but let the wheel hit the pice lightly and just slowly slap the pice clean. its not the fastest methoud but it cleans nicely. if im in a hurry i chose another option. the whire wheel works best with little to no presher so it can slap the pice, not try to rub it off, if presher is aplied it heats the paint and then it just spreds around. i supose it depends a bit on what you are trying to remove. scale will also come off with no presher but a little time to let it work.
    just what i have found to work best with mine efects may werry with users.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Are you running the inner shields still ? That attach the outer. No matter what I did, the shield and wire would not go on. The wire would be hitting the inner shield causing it not to spin. I don't see it being a problem though. The only thing that happens is if you get to low it pulls you in a little.

And for a little reminder guys, safety first. My 6 inch grinding wheel decided to grenade today. I literally stood there and stared at the ground, then felt my face to make sure I was not cut open. I had safety glasses on, after that though happen I will make sure I wear full face shield while using it.

My old Hienz-57 6" grinder got designated as the tungsten and wire wheel unit when I got the 8" Grizz. Like my bud at Precision Works said, those wires get a lot more grab on the target. James has the right idea - - slow 'n easy.

As for the guards fitting over the wire wheels, they should. Most are adjustable to some extent. Running a wire wheel without a guard invites not only some nasty quill sticks in yer face, but a general expulsion of high velocity steel spikes in all directions!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

all my guards are in place with the wire wheel on. i have also from day one with the wire wheel used full face shield and my lether welding aprin, and tight machanics gloves. the gloves seem to be in question where safty is concerned but i have had a few cases where the part has pulled lose throwing my thumb or back of the had to the wire wheel and the glove was a thankfull help in keeping any damage from acoring, loose gloves i would not recomend but a good fitting tight glove i feel is advantages, JMO.
    if your guards dont fit find out why and fix it. it could well be a case of just needing to clean out the inside that may have built up metal dibree over time,this happens with the lil 4.5" angel grinders all the time. i would not run a wire wheel with out the guards
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES