Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Syncrowave 250 Dx Owners?

Hello,
    I am new to this board and have found some good info. I especially like the pics of projects you guys post. I am fairly new to welding and am taking a class in Memphis. I just bought a 250 DX and am looking at the connection charts in the manual. I was curious what tips you guys may have for initial setup. I have 200 amp service in my shop but I am curious if I should straight wire this to a breaker or can I use a plug. I have a 50 amp breaker I use with my mig. Any help would be appreciated.

Jetmekdc-10, welcome to the forum, I straight wired my Synchrowave 250 to the 100 amp breaker, as far as I know, there are not any plugs rated that high, if there are, they cost a bunch. I was advised not to use two 50 amp breakers also, even though I did for a short time. The machine defenitly needs 100 amp service. Hope this helps ya out, you are going to like that big girl....Paul

Thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead and wire it straight to my breaker box. I may try using a heavy enough wire to have ten or fifteen feet of slack. Thanks again

Jetmekdc-10, I believe an 8 guage 3 conductor wire should do ya, but it would not hurt to go to 6 guage, if anybody has any input, please speak up. What does it say in the manual???? Paul
    More Spark Today Please

Paul, Thanks for the advice, I am going to use a 100 amp c/b and #6 wire with about 20 feet of length. That should work. Thanks

Default Coolant Flow

Paul, I got everything up and running. What a difference a quality piece of equipment makes. I have one small problem though. The flow indicator seems to be sticking on the coolant unit or I don't have any coolant flow. The pump is running and it has plenty of fluid. Other than that this machine is really nice, plenty of power. I did some1/4" alum plate that really looked good for a beginner, Thanks, Adam

Default Tigging 4130

I am building a roll cage for a truck that needs to be able to withstand a hard rollover. I am using 1-3/4" 4130 chrome-moly with a .120" wall. Most of the primary pieces are in place and ready to be prepped and welded. The cost of having this cage built was my only reason to start welding and now I am enjoying welding as much as offroading. Anyways I can tig the 4130 pretty good on the bench but vertical and overhead are going to be tough. I am considering making up about 15 joints and trying to weld them on a straight piece of pipe to practice with. 4130 is not cheap though, Will regular DOM pipe be okay to practice with? I am in a school but we don't start advanced welding until May. Any Help would be appreciated. I tried to post some pics of my roll cage but the site don't like them BIG pics. I'll try to remember how to shrink em, AW

Default 250 Coolant flow problems?

Jetmekdc-10,
    Have you found out whether you have coolant flow or not?
    Our school last year got a few Sync 350's and they had a recall on the coolant flow (ok guys, don't be calling Miller, maybe we just had 4 bad units.)
    Whatever the problem was, they fixed it and everything turned out fine
    I never heard of anyone else having problems with it though....

Talking

Is the coolant system integraited into the machine, or is it a seperate unit? The integraied ones have sever problems over 200 amps. We have over 35 350DX models with integraited coolers and every one avoids them like the plaig. The intagraited coolers only circulate water while welding and it isn't good enough over 200 amps. most people find an external cooler and hook them up instead.

Thanks for the replys, I hav'nt gotten back to the tigging. I've been tied up on a mig job for a few nights. The 250 DX came very highly rated and I hope the flow problem will be easy to fix. I am going to fire it up this week and see what I can find. Thanks