Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Tricks of the Trade?

We have all done stupid things when handling tools and working projects, THERE are no tricks to safety. Everything in the previous posts are a DUH!

It's very simple - you have two eyes, ten fingers and ten toes - and everything in between, Unlike the Borg - nothing is replacable. If you are inattentave and lose a body part - it's gone for life.

The real trick is not being stupid, know what you are doing, calculate how you are going to do it, and understand the risks...

Steve

hmhoek Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Another one that I use is if you are going to be welding alot of galvanized or zinc coated steel you should drink pure coffee creamer to coat the lining of your stomach. Zinc does not have a liquid state so when you proceed to weld upon it it turns straight to a gas. This gas can cause stomach problems after a few hours of welding.
    Others have already responded to this, but this thread kind of brings it home:
    http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3315

Lightbulb

wear insulated welding gloves umm i just got a taste of wht can happen if a hot spark burns through an uninsualetd glove and sit there at elast insulated take away some of the heat and disperses it along ur whole hand nopw i gots a nasty burn on my thumb lol.

the one and only weldingman,
    Dwayne

Default more safety tips

1. As the other guy's have already said wear ear and eye protection.
    I think we have all had that slag pop us inthe eye, or the slag ball sizzling in our ear canal (thats how we learned it)

2. I don't care how hot it is protect your skin

3. don't wear ripped up jeans when cuttin or welding, I think we have all set our pants or t-shirts on fire before at least once.

4. cover the cement floor with something if you are going to be dropping alot of slag. It can and WILL pop up pieces of concrete at you. my uncle lost his right eye from this
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

You know you married the right woman when you burn part of your wedding ring off and your wife still lets you wear
    Talked to an old journeyman. Few years ago his partner had a spark jump into his ear while welding overhead and burned out his eardrum permanantly.
    When I was doing my test for overhead, you know how the slag drops onto the crook of your elbow? Doesn't burn through the leathers, but the heat still burns your skin...Instructor told me to cut the front toe part of the athletic socks, put it over your arm first, then put the leathers on. Worked great!
    Now you might wonder what I was doing with athletic socks in my drawer .........
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    1. As the other guy's have already said wear ear and eye protection.
    I think we have all had that slag pop us inthe eye, or the slag ball sizzling in our ear canal (thats how we learned it)

2. I don't care how hot it is protect your skin

3. don't wear ripped up jeans when cuttin or welding, I think we have all set our pants or t-shirts on fire before at least once.

4. cover the cement floor with something if you are going to be dropping alot of slag. It can and WILL pop up pieces of concrete at you. my uncle lost his right eye from this
    ive had expereience with burnt shirt it wasnt fun my dad tried putting it out and it was hanging over something and yea he patted i dpent a few minutes singing soprano so wear an apron when cutting or welding

Default thanks to all

hey just wanted to tell all you guys thanks, i am already doing most of the safety parts. earplugs, safety glasses, leather, laceless boots, carhartt or ****ies work pants,ect. but the athletic sock was a good idea, ill try that one

thanks to all

Weldingman 251,far as the apron, do you use your mom's or your wifes'???
    Care to show us a pic with your wearing it????
    PLEASE???
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Ghetto gloves

If you need extra protection for your hands, take an old pair of gloves, remove the liner and cut off the fingers. You can slide this over top of you current gloves and it offers extra heat protection as well as helping your gloves last longer. When your actual gloves are no longer servicable repeat with your new gloves. I prefer this method to those reflective heat shields and it can save you some money.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Wink

Well here is a little tip that might help you in the future if you plan to do any welds with aluminum. This is a really neat metal to weld with but remember this metal will not change color like its steel brother. It is going to remain the same color from start to finish. So l when you handle it after welding assume its cherry red and hot as heck despite the fact it looks cool. Oh and you don't ever want to use water to quench it. It will only serve to make it brittle. Let it cool in it's own time. Hope this helps