Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

here are some old paint covered ones coming around a pipe on something I build 15 yrs ago before I have a feeder in the shop. I actually dug a chunk of steel out the other day to do some coupons, when I get some done I will post them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    here's my take on it, if you are carrying a well formed weave, almost 1" wide, in the overhead shot you're running too cold. In all positions except vertical up, you really shouldn't be weaving 5/32" much larger than 1/2" anyways.
    In the late 1970ís I got stuck making 1 7/8-inch fillet weld overhead, welding a 4-inch x 6-inch flatbar ring to 3/4-inch thick tank. The spec called for 3/16-inch 7018. No big deal really, but if you lost the puddle, man did you ever get bombarded with molten metal!

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    here are some old paint covered ones coming around a pipe
    Whoa, Whoa! Pipe is a whole nother issue. Unless youíre talking 20-feet in dia. Iím talking across a 12-inch wide flange, where the heat can build and build!

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Yes, eventually I will post some pics, I dont have big welds here, most of our stuff is so light but when I was in the trades like you we weld big groves all the time. What is a 4 G plate or pipe? A young guy like Coalsmoke should post some big ole plates.
    4G is overhead, is that what you're asking? The last thing I was worrying about when I was hanging thin iron was to start taking pictures. Foreman would have probably shot me even if I tried

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post
    In the late 1970ís I got stuck making 1 7/8-inch fillet weld overhead, welding a 4-inch x 6-inch flatbar ring to 3/4-inch thick tank. The spec called for 3/16-inch 7018. No big deal really, but if you lost the puddle, man did you ever get bombarded with molten metal!
    See, I wouldn't have tried to weave that, I would have gone good old stringers hot and quick. I would be surprised if the specs specified that it had to be a weave, or that a weave was permissable but there are things I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    See, I wouldn't have tried to weave that, I would have gone good old stringers hot and quick. I would be surprised if the specs specified that it had to be a weave, or that a weave was permissable but there are things I don't know
    Oops, yup the specs also called for stringers, sorry about that.

I have done a thousand of them with no backing plates too, backgouge and weld a single pass with 5/32 overhead

I had some neat old job pics like Carl has, I lost them in a fire and even looked for the negatives that had a bunch of splice work similar to this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ironworker needs a little guidance here!!

Hey guys bare with me here---I'm new to this site. I've been an ironworker for roughly 4 years and most of the time as a connector. I've passed a welding cert test roughly 10 years ago (I believe 1" unlimited). I'm not really up on the terminology so I might be wrong. I've got a test coming up this following Monday, and I'm really sweating it. The steel ******** company wants (I believe) to put me on welding moments and I've never done this before. I know the root pass should be run hot but other than that I'm kinda in the dark. All of my experience is with 7018's and 6022's running decking (1/4" rods). I'm not a "weaver"---all of my welds have been "stringers". Ya'll, I've got a family of 5 riding on this weld cert test coming up, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm gonna be welding coupons or actual moments for the test.