Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question welding moment connections

when welding moment connections with backing plate on 3/8"x8" thick I beams in the overhead position, after you lay your root pass, whats the best way to fill the joint to pass a ultrasonic inspection. running multiple stringer passes or larger weaving welds? maybe some of you structural welders can give me some pointers

In the overhead position, I would run stringers. I would also make the backing plates little longer than the flange, as a start & stop tab. Also if they will allow I would notch the web, run the backing plates for the flanges through the web.

Here is a picture of how I spliced the span beam to my bridge crane.
    And of the crane
    Attached Images Attached Images

If its in a groove you could do either stringers or weave but I like a weave I can make nice and flat.

I did the ironwork thing for a little bit, and the 7018 overhead was all stringers. This was not an option for us, it was good proper stringers with no undercut or go home. I suspect the risk might be slag entrapment with the 7018, but it was never spelled out why, maybe the foreman didn't know himself, never saw him pick up a stinger on the job, only a can of beer.

When doing this "on the job" it will typically call out stringers or weave in the welding procedure....giving you no choice. On many jobs, the welders never see the procedure and are just told "that's how we do it on this job."

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    but I like a weave I can make nice and flat.
    Clearing up some terminology.

Cary is this what you call / consider a weave?

If so how far can you carry this in the overhead position, say with some 5/32-inch 7018?

In my opinion a weave would be somewhere around 6 to 8 Xs the diameter of the rod. So 6 Xs .15625 = .9375 or 15/16-inch. You can carry a 15/16-inch wide weave weld overhead for how far?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Till the rod runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Till the rod runs out.
    Well you da man!

Care to post some pictures? I know we can trust you!
    Im sure Peaches would like to learn this trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Pile Buck View Post
    Well you da man!

Care to post some pictures? I know we can trust you!
    Im sure Peaches would like to learn this trick!
    here's my take on it, if you are carrying a well formed weave, almost 1" wide, in the overhead shot you're running too cold. In all positions except vertical up, you really shouldn't be weaving 5/32" much larger than 1/2" anyways.

Yes, eventually I will post some pics, I dont have big welds here, most of our stuff is so light but when I was in the trades like you we weld big groves all the time. What is a 4 G plate or pipe? A young guy like Coalsmoke should post some big ole plates.