oh my god don't even get me started on auto parts stores. I've had to widdle my selection down to just a handful of Napa stores. Every autozone and advanceautoparts I've been in is seemingly stocked with "after-school job" teenagers who think that because they put a cold air intake on their car they can give me attitude. The only knowledgeable people I can even find any more are at a few select Napa's. Plus, in my opinion, Napa has the best quality parts of all the major car parts retailers so I'd just assume get the good stuff and not replace the same part 10 times over.
And it's true, no one wants to support or even cares about the old stuff anymore. And these days, something doesn't even have to be that old to be considered 'old' or obselete. Many times the internet has been my only saving grace for finding parts as no one locally wanted to go through the trouble. I found an original foot pedal for my 1976 Hobart on the internet as well as a OEM DC amp gauge to replace a faulty one on the same machine. I grew up in the age of the internet so I don't know how old-school guys ever got anything done 15+ years ago. Probably alot of business cards, phone numbers and knowing the right people.......