Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tip sticking

timcohomerepair Guest

Default tip sticking

Hello! The big question of the day is how to stop the wire from beading up & sticking on the tip of my millermatic 175 with 75%argon gas @ 30 psi. .035 wire. Always wants to bead on the tip & weld the wire to the tip. I use nozzel gelly. Any advise?

Tim

Wink

Turn the wire up or the heat down

Just off the top it sounds like your drive roll tension is too slack, however there are many causes for this problem. If the wire runs smoothly through the liner, and has a bit of 'push' to it at the contact tip, then wire speed could be the problem. Without other info on your settings it's hard to troubleshoot this type of problem. I've had trouble like this when the liner was cut too short for the length of whip.

Hope this helps out
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Are your setting set properly if your wire feed is set to low you are experiencing burnback.

Default tip sticking

you might be running to long of a tip or like the welders said play with wire speed and heat
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by timcohomerepair View Post
    Hello! The big question of the day is how to stop the wire from beading up & sticking on the tip of my millermatic 175 with 75%argon gas @ 30 psi. .035 wire. Always wants to bead on the tip & weld the wire to the tip. I use nozzel gelly. Any advise?

Tim
    Have you tried a different nozzle tip with a larger orifice? It kinda sounds like when you changed to .035 wire, perhaps, you didn't up the tip size.

i agree with most everyone, wire speed. but, i have this problem when i'm tacking alot. the problem there is that a little ball of splatter will stick to the end of the tip and in turn create drag on my wire. the solution is keep an eye on nozzle distance.

Tim
    The wire is beading up. We needs more wire speed. I don't think however that we have appropriate stick-out. Keep the right distances using volts and wire speed and together we solve the tip problem.

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I tried using the nozzle jelly It really didn't work. I find if the heat is turned up to high that will cause it to stick, Or if your Cord for the wire feed isn't straight that can cause it to happen as well. At school we just changed the whole cord when It did this it was to time consuming to keep fixing it. It is always good to keep the tip clean and the nozzle free from slag and other dirt.

Tim
    I'm thinking your wfs is too slow ,.. the little mm135's and 175's have a drive roll problem too after a while because there is only one powerd roll. It could be the liner is filled up with junk by now and the wire is having a hard time feeding.. also keep the gun cable aas straight as possible .. Hope this helps
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com