Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default My Trailer Project

Well,
    Here is going to be an indepth picture account of a trailer I built for hauling multiple things from 4 wheelers to small cars. It's 6' X 14' with a diamond plate steel deck.

It took awhile to do this project as it was more fill work than anything and after awhile It turned more into "lets get this done and out of the shop" job

This is going to be a long thread as we have cataloged everything.

Andy

First we took all the race car jigs off the chassis jig and made straight flat ones for the trailer.
    We checked each one with the laser to make sure it was straight after cutting and bolting to the jig table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The main frame is 2X4x1/4" mitre cut and bevelled for welding.
    The frame was laid out and tacked, then checked across the corners for square then clamped and welded. We used the Millermatic 350P and Millermatic 251.

Fancey trailer frame Andy.. mitered and everything! .. I never did get that motor sport discount, your dealer couldent give it to me because i'm in canada.
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

Me and the foreman then rechecked the straightness fo the rails and cut all the cross braces.
    The cross supports are all 2 X 2 X 3/16 and 2 X 4 X 3/16.

more pics of cross braces

We then put 2 X 2 X 3/16 angle iron supports between the crossmembers for additional support where the tires of my Skid steer would run so I wouldn't buckle the diamond plate.
    The tops of the crossmembers are tig welded with the Dynasty 300 to the side rails because I wanted a smaller bead profile so the diamond plate would sit tighter to the rails.

Default axle mounting

Andy, Are the axles welded to the main frame rails? In the photos it looks like they are? I have a triple axle race car trailer with torsion flex axles also. We broke a spindle, losing the tire, wheel and hub. Fortunately it bounced twice and went over the side of a bridge into the water instead of hitting somebody. I decided to replace all three axles after talking to Dexter, the manufacturer of the axles. My axles were also welded to the frame. I found out the recommendation was to weld a bracket to the frame and bolt the axle bracket to it. That would make replacing an axle easier. As it was with the axle bracket welded directly to the frame it was a MAJOR pain to whittle them off the frame. You bolted your fenders on but it looks like the axles are welded. If you damage a spindle it will be a lot tougher to replace it. Dave Germain

I thought it wasnt recommended to have any more than two torsion axles on a trailer? Something about if you put three on there it would load wrong and possibly damage one of the axles.
    hh 187.:
    powcon 300 st
    cheap chinese plasma cutter
    miller diversion :

My Dexter torsion axles came with a bracket that bolts to the axle. I welded the bracket straight to the frame.

Can't comment on the three axle comment, but will be interested to see the replies.

I would like to know what type of JIG Andy used.