Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: calculations??

Default calculations??

how would you figure out how much strenght steel will hold. for example 1" square tubing thats 1/8" thick and 10' long? how would you figure out it's max capacity?

Get some and hang weight on it till it fails

I don't want to sound too enginerish, but there are probably a thousand correct answers to your question. Is the piece going to be mounted horizontal, vertical? What type/quantity of weld material will be put on it? If horizontal, you could hang several hundred pounds an inch from the end, but put a couple hundred dead center, five foot from any support, and it will most likely bow and maybe fail.

SSS

Quote Originally Posted by hit_em View Post
    how would you figure out how much strenght steel will hold. for example 1" square tubing thats 1/8" thick and 10' long? how would you figure out it's max capacity?
    Not enough information given to determine an answer. How is it going to be loaded? Tension, compression, shear, bending, torsion, concentrated loads, distributed loads, etc. Provide a sketch or description of the loading configuration and the type of steel (alloy/heat treat or allowable stresses) and perhaps an estimate can be generated.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

like the others said ,the use will greatly efect the amount it will hold as well as where its required to hold it.
    the same pice of 1" tube put in any of the situations in the pic atached would hold diferent amounts at any of the points on the pice in question, and thats not even factoring in the welds or the alloy or many other factors. a bock could answer your question if the question was compleat. given the situation you intend to use it in would alow you to then look up what would hold in that situation. i had to do this all the time when building houses with wood but i needed the aplication first then could chose the needed wood dependant apon the size and space aloted. but you need to be spacific about how its used and where and what kind of loads you are alowing for.
    after you have all that its just simple calculations.
    i'll bet that didnt help a bit did it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thanks for asking I need similiar info

I am not currently building anything like that, I am just wondering if there was any simple mathematical way of calculating the strenght of a piece of metal. I understand once you weld they become one and are much stronger, but can it be figured out using math.

Quote Originally Posted by hit_em View Post
    I am not currently building anything like that, I am just wondering if there was any simple mathematical way of calculating the strenght of a piece of metal. I understand once you weld they become one and are much stronger, but can it be figured out using math.
    Of course,
    Its called Engineering. The math is simple, if your decent in Trig, Calc, and Algebra its not an issue. Everything is a function of Geometry and material properties. Welding is no different, its just a function of Geometry and material properties. But this is just for what we call "Strengths and Statics", There is also fatigue and a few other things to worry about.

You dont have to be an "Engineer" to do the math and problem solving, there are lots of good books on the subject. Plus its always nice to have an idea how strong your part is, not just guess

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)