Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i saw that duild off that aluminum bike was great, if it was judjed on pure efort he would have taken it for sore. no way to bondo that baby its all work and it was right as rain. take the paint out of the contest and it would have been him for shore. i still think it should have been his. but it was close, that other guy dose some fine paint work.
    I don't watch those shows that much but I did see that one. That was some impressive craftsmanship.
    I'm all for taking functional parts and altering them to improve the looks of a bike as long as it doesn't hurt the way it functions. I don't care for it when they add useless garb all over the bikes for the sake of looks and it really disturbs me when I see them do stuff that is flat out dangerous and won't work right.( I'm talking about parts, not the shop practices) For example, I saw one where a guy put the rear brake at the transmission, if the chain brakes you have no brakes at all and when it is fully functional the brake disc is too small of a diameter to work properly. I saw another where the guy routed the exhaust through the rear fender, I thought to myself, he's going to melt the tire, I was wrong, he caught the seat on fire. At least they didn't hide that. I consider these bikes more as art than motorcycles, but thats just me and I feel if a person likes that, go for it. To me, function is beauty.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Quote Originally Posted by Carl W. View Post
    I recall the 1000 back when AMF took over Harley, thinking late 70's?
    Carl - I think the actual merger with AMF was in 1969 though I believe AMF production did not actually start for another 2 - 3 years. I do know that Harley took a dive post AMF merger, and that HD management bought back the company from AMF in 81 or 82.

If my dad was still here, he'd know ... only reason I keep the bike is because it belonged to him and he was the original owner. I will ride it in charity events but that's about it. It's a nice bike, but it's not me.

I'd rather be sitting on a Road King 0r Gold Wing for long trips ... but around here the Suzuki is the best fit.

No one man can have too many bikes!
    This is what I tell the War Department (wife) as she tells
    me I can only ride one bike at a time.
    Thing is each one has a different character and I couldn't
    pick just one for a "do-all" bike.

Well said about the aluminum bike vs paint and spears, those
    boys in Oz are talented. I would like to spend 6 months working
    and learning from them, yes a long time but I want to ride bike in
    Oz and New Zealand also.

.....=o&o>.....

I would like to spend 6 months working
    and learning from them, yes a long time but I want to ride bike in
    Oz and New Zealand also.

.....=o&o>.....
    I would love to ride through New Zealand, that is some beautiful country, great fishing there too.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

I had a A&P work partner who married a New Zealander 16 years ago, he's a eggbeater wrench in Christchurch. Here in the states we rode Norton's together for years, he has asked me to come on down and see his country and take one of his Norton's, no time or mileage limit. **** I might never come back. One problem (well two now) the "War Department" doesn't want me gone for two months leaving her with the kids, (she doesn't ride) and now this lower back problem. Had my first steroid shot yesterday, not fun. Before I die i'm going down there and ride.

.....=o&o>.....

I had a A&P work partner who married a New Zealander 16 years ago, he's a eggbeater wrench in Christchurch. Here in the states we rode Norton's together for years, he has asked me to come on down and see his country and take one of his Norton's, no time or mileage limit. **** I might never come back. One problem (well two now) the "War Department" doesn't want me gone for two months leaving her with the kids, (she doesn't ride) and now this lower back problem. Had my first steroid shot yesterday, not fun. Before I die i'm going down there and ride.

.....=o&o>.....
    Bummer about you're back, I hope it works out OK for you. You probably should look to doing you're trip sooner than later, you never know whats waiting for you around the bend. When you start getting older and all busted up, its better to be able to look back at the things you've done and not the things you wish you would have done.
    I'm in that busted up category now, I can still ride but unlike the 800-1000 mile days you mentioned earlier, my tops is about 300 max.
    I remember once on a cross country trip with Patty we had a 20 mile day. It was pretty funny because we ended up partying with the same people we did the night before, just 20 miles down the road. They teased us all night about that.
    If I were you I'd be calling my buddy and have him get those Norton's ready to rock and roll !!! I'm sure you're wife and kids could find ways to entertain themselves down there while you guys go on you're adventure.

( What was so funny about the 20 mile trip is we said our good by's and didn't plan on seeing the people again, well Patty and I started playing around at the lake and then found the tavern and it was by chance we ended up running into the same people that night. )

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Times have really changed in the biking world. I used to work at Texas Intruments in Dallas from 1979-1983. We had a little club and used to do a rally every month. This was back when there were universal motorcycles. Not so specialized. I was riding a KZ 750 back then and my wife and I would pack the tent and sleeping bags and meet up with everyone at T.I. and we would ride as a group to which ever rally was going that weekend. After a few rallys, people started migrating to different brands of motorcycles. My buddy and I went Harley while most went goldwing. After awhile the goldwingers wouldn't meet up with us for the ride. The would now only ride with their goldwing club. They would meet up with us at the rally and camp with us and eventually they wouldn't even camp with us. The other guys that rode other hondas or yamahas ect. would still hang with us and we enjoyed riding with them. The wingers are by far the most snooty riders I have ever encountered. I don't mean to insult ant wing riders here, I know there are many fine wing riders out there. This is just personal past experience.

A funny story about one of the rallys we went to in Broken Bow Ok. back around 1980. I was still riding my KZ750 and my buddy Tom was on a Secca 500 Yamaha. We had our wives on the back and were crusing the camp grounds. We came to to top of the hill where a bumch of Harley riders were camping. The road made a loop thru and they had posted a sign that said "Harley riders only". Well we rode thru anyway and the looks we got got us out rather quickly. So the camp ground was set up where the Harley guys were at the top of the hill and all the jap bike guys where in the middle and the stragglers were at the bootom of the hill. (mostly more harley guys) The next morning, my wife and I walked down the hill thru the stragglers camp sites to go to the resteraunt for breakfast. We walked past an old ragged harley with clothes drapped across it and two sleeping bags on the ground. Just as we walked past, a girl climbed out of one of those bags butt naked. She stretched and started grabbing clothes off the handle bars and started getting dressed. I told my wife," I want one of those motorcyles". That was back when Harley riders were still looked down on. Fast forward to today. Harley riders in general are yuppies that go play biker on the weekend. Again I have probably offended some poeple. I don't intend to do that. I'm glad more people are riding these days and I ride with anybody regardless of brand. Though in my older years now I prefer to ride with acouple a my close friends then in large groups. My sister and b-inlaw both ride new Harleys but I refuse to stop at starbucks with them. Even thought I ride a brand new 07, I still have my old shovelhead. The new ones just don't have the class and charactor the old ones do. Well I have to go. Taking the new one to Dothan Al. for its 1000 mile service.

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Aitken View Post
    After a few rallys, people started migrating to different brands of motorcycles. My buddy and I went Harley while most went goldwing. After awhile the goldwingers wouldn't meet up with us for the ride. The would now only ride with their goldwing club.
    Kelly
    Maybe you should have tried to meet up with them and rode with the Goldwing Club?

We do a lot of Charity rides in this area, some days on the Suzuki, some on the Harley and many on the Wing. Never saw what you describe, although I will admit one or two HD clubs seemed to wanna ride as a group and only with thier members. In general the only, what did you call them " snooty " people around here ride " crotch rockets ". My brother in law owns 3 HD's ... Fatboy ... Heritage Softail Classic and an old Police Road King, when I told him I was going to buy a new big bike for touring he told me to buy a Gold Wing. His words were " I know you, you like to ride em, not work on em! "

We have a " club " and I use that word loosely as there are no officers, nor meetings. Just an email notification system where any individual can send out a notice of the desire to ride. Anyone who wants to ride shows up on whatever they have. There are about 75 on the list, and most do not belong to any group. We pretty much ride 24/7/365, and a lot of our group rides occur during the week. It's nice being retired and you can do that.

Riders that scare me are those in thier 40's who never rode before, take a class, buy a big bike and hit the road. They say you are never too old to learn new things, but I dont think that includes motorcycle riding.

At the ripe old age of 45, my wife decided we should get Harleys. She rode dirt bikes in her teens, just on trails and dirt roads, nothing real tough. She went and took the course, got on a new XL1200C, and has been having the time of her life. In 2 1/2 years, she has progressed from the Sportster thru a Dyna Low Rider and just bought a Softail Deluxe. She has ridden up fire roads and thru monsoons, and is probably safer than 90% of the "more experienced" riders out there. She exercises good judgement - she rides appropriately for the circumstances - unlike many other riders. She's ridden more miles under more conditions than many riders with a decade or more.

I, OTOH, have owned nearly two dozen motorcycles over the years and started riding on the street at 15. I'd ridden everything - except Harleys. I had no problem jumping on a Wide Glide and riding away. I had about 6000 miles on it when I was riding to work one morning, thinking about work....when I snapped to and realized the pickup in front of me was stopped with no brake lights. All that experience didn't include panic stops on a 700 lb bike....I got it sideways and missed the pickup, then the tires grabbed and launched me down the asphalt. Even though I had slowed to 30-35, I took a beating. Ended up 50' from the bike, concussion, 2 broken ribs, out for 10 minutes. First CHP on scene thought I was dead.....

Sometimes experience leads to complacency. No matter what age you start to ride, you have to pay attention ALL THE TIME. Those ribs took a loooong time to heal, and changed my approach to riding forever. I now make it a habit to focus on nothing but my riding for every moment I'm on the bike.

I think the ideal time to start riding a motorcycle is when you are mature enough to recognize the risks involved and your own limitations. For many people, that doesn't happen until their 40s......

ridding bikes is best for recreation, thinking of work is realy distracting as you found out. the only time i have been in a bike accedent is when comming or going from work. you realy do need to be focused on the road, and mostly on what every one else out there is doing as most people are realy bad drivers reguardless of what they are driving, and almost no one pays any atention to bikes on the road. "I NEVER SAW HIM" is always the first responce from some one that just cut you off or ran you over.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES