Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I've definitely done my share of fixing my bike across the country. I don't regret it one bit, some of the best people I've met and some of the best times I've had came as a result of being broke down in the middle of nowhere.
    I also don't care what some one else rides, if you like riding, ride what you like, or can afford.
    Its funny though, when it comes to the "if you don't ride ---- you're not ---" attitude, I've seen it most out of the Goldwingers, believe it or not.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

I must be lucky and not know it, the ride season is a lot longer here in sunny California vs Pennsylvania. I get a kick out of American Chopper when it's snowing on a test ride. A few years ago I took a trip to Canada and got caught in a snow storm, not much fun and too cold. I rather watch snow on TV. Two wheel drifting will hone your reflexes. With 9 scooters some days I want to thump the 600cc Matchless single, the back roads on 750 Triumph, do the twisties on the 850 Norton's or a little highway time on the Beemers. Decisions decisions.
    .....=o&o>.....

I was headed for Cincinnati Ohio once, there was a drizzling rain, nothing I couldn't handle, suddenly it turned to hail and it felt like some one shot me in the face. I know what you mean about the rough weather, any more I prefer the sunny days also, except in Phoenix. Too hot there to ride during the day in the summer. The faster you go the hotter it is. Like standing in front of a heat gun.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Quote Originally Posted by Carl W. View Post
    harco; where did you get the 27 hp R75/5 BMW numbers from?
    "Beemer Nut" on other forums.....=o&o>.....
    Carl,

The HP figure came from the owner I believe. It was a few years ago I think when he told me. I was looking for another bike and he owns a dealership, he was trying to get me to buy an 800cc bike and I said something about not enough power for a sidecar +. I'm probably wrong on the model, but the point I was trying to make ( I think ) was how much was done so long ago with relatively much less power than today. In any case it was impressive seeing that bike/sidecar and 3 people on it.

Beemer Nut? bah the only Beemers worth owning would be the R1200 GS or the F650 GS

I must be lucky and not know it, the ride season is a lot longer here in sunny California vs Pennsylvania.
    .....=o&o>.....
    Hey I am in Maryland and the riding season is 365 days, Some of those days are just more exciting than others. I'd say ICE is the only thing that keeps me off the bike! At least in colder weather you don't mind wearing all that extra protective clothing!

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar
    Too hot there to ride during the day in the summer. The faster you go the hotter it is. Like standing in front of a heat gun.
    It used to get like that in El Paso, TX. I don't like riding in that kind of heat.

To add on my previous post, a 1955 R50/2 (252/2) with it's wild 6.8cr cranks out 26 hp. A Kick in the butt is motoring around in my 66 (year sold as 67) R27 the little 250cc thumper with rubber mounted motor. It cranks out 18 hp, has the solo rear drive ratio not the lower sidecar gears.

To each his own, i've gone on a few trips with a friends 1200 as well a week around home on a Fundura 650, personally no thank you I would rather ride on my R90/6 or the R90s. No oil or water cooling just basic air cooled.

Newer isn't always better.

I can live without plastic bikes besides I can work on every part of it right down to the crank at home.
    I saw what those new plastic zoom zoom BMW's can or shall I say can't do at a BMW rally, called crash and splat one year and a few riders bragged about their speeding tickets. I must be old school like dad who rode bike at 80, he rode bike around the world during WWII, dry lake speed runs and stayed alive.
    Best part my son will be the 4th generation up Lombard Street in San Francisco. (twisty street one way down).

.....=o&o>.....

To add on my previous post, a 1955 R50/2 (252/2) with it's wild 6.8cr cranks out 26 hp. A Kick in the butt is motoring around in my 66 (year sold as 67) R27 the little 250cc thumper with rubber mounted motor. It cranks out 18 hp, has the solo rear drive ratio not the lower sidecar gears.

To each his own, i've gone on a few trips with a friends 1200 as well a week around home on a Fundura 650, personally no thank you I would rather ride on my R90/6 or the R90s. No oil or water cooling just basic air cooled.

Newer isn't always better.

I can live without plastic bikes besides I can work on every part of it right down to the crank at home.
    I saw what those new plastic zoom zoom BMW's can or shall I say can't do at a BMW rally, called crash and splat one year and a few riders bragged about their speeding tickets. I must be old school like dad who rode bike at 80, he rode bike around the world during WWII, dry lake speed runs and stayed alive.
    Best part my son will be the 4th generation up Lombard Street in San Francisco. (twisty street one way down).

.....=o&o>.....
    I'll have to go see my beemer buddy .... don't ride with him much since I moved out into the woods. He was trying to sell me a Suzuki VZ800 and telling me it could be triked. I told him it was underpowered for my liking to be triked and that is when he brought up his beloved BMW. I know the beemer he owns was 20'something HP or so he said ... I know he still owns it, but I think he has done some restoration work and no longer a daily rider.

I won't own one of the new beemers as I think they are overpriced. I hear guys complaining about prices for parts as well.

My fun bike is a lil Suzuki 650 ... get's me where I wanna go, even if I have to hit the fire trails to get there ..... cruises the interstate at speeds well above the posted. Nice bike, can run the heck out of it, never worry about riding in bad weather, there's no chrome to clean and polish. We did a 1,000 mile weekend ride, me on the DL650, one Honda Shadow 1100, and my brother in law on his HD Fatboy. It was a 4 day weekend and I swear they spent too much time cleaning those bikes. I went out on my own, hit a few fire roads and came back covered in mud. They were having heart attacks .... so I went to one of thos car was places, hosed the bike off and drove down the highway to dry it off.

When I feel like turning wrenches, geezing, and cruising down to the ice cream stand, I dust of the 1972 HD XLCH 1000. That's my 'baby', because it demands so much care.

We have 5-7 bike here, 7 if ya count the 2 in pieces

Each has it's purpose. Don't think they make one bike that does it all.

I have to admit the older BMW's including the Norton's have the worse seats ever made far as padding and comfort, to enter in shows which I do adding aftermarket is out.
    Dumb question as I never followed Harley's, wasn't the 72 XLCH still 900cc?
    I recall the 1000 back when AMF took over Harley, thinking late 70's?
    Anyone see the Biker Build Off with the all aluminum bike from Oz?
    That was one of the best looking bikes as far a craftmanship goes, second is the talent of Dave Periowitz from the right coast.

.....=o&o>.....

Miller Synchrowave 350
    Millermatic 251 w/30A spoolgun

i saw that duild off that aluminum bike was great, if it was judjed on pure efort he would have taken it for sore. no way to bondo that baby its all work and it was right as rain. take the paint out of the contest and it would have been him for shore. i still think it should have been his. but it was close, that other guy dose some fine paint work.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Dumb question as I never followed Harley's, wasn't the 72 XLCH still 900cc?
    I recall the 1000 back when AMF took over Harley, thinking late 70's?
    The XLCH 1000 dates back to 1972 from what I know. It was referred to as an " Iron Head ". I know there is a website dedicated to the XLCH, but I don't have it saved on this computer.

I don't follow Harley's that closely either ... but this one belonged to my father and he bought it new, he had it restored about 2 years before he passed away and my mother told me to take it. All I ever knew about it was my dad, called it his " 72 Sporty ". My mom didn't like it though! ( I think that's why he bought it )

I think http://www.bikez.com may have pics of models listed year by year.