Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

i dont much care for the new harlys eather, a harly has always been loud and simple, kinda like an old truck that just refused to keep up with the new tec. its just waht it is, the new ones just dont look or feel harly. although i cant aford one if one was given to me and ihad the option of a new one or an older one i would have to go with the older one if i had to keep the one i chose, if i could sell it i would go with a new one sell it to a yuppie and build myself one frome parts to be just right for me. and it would have a 4 speed, if i did pull a trailor it would be a light one so the 4 speed should be fine. and there is just some thing about a kicker that just has to be there ya know.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Kelly;
    Let me know next time you're in town, I'm about 50 miles south of Pittsburgh in Greene County. Maybe you could give me some pointers on this tig of mine.
    You should fill in you're location, who knows, I might be in you're peice of the world some day.

James;
    A good friend of mine down near Cincinnati Ohio started with a seat he got at a flea market and eventually built himself a Harley. Rose thought he was nuts when he brought the seat home and told her it was there new bike. If you want one, I believe you will eventually end up with one, although cheap parts are getting harder and harder to find now days with the craze thats going on. I also like simple, thats why I did away with the electronic ignition and put a magneto on mine.
    As far as pulling a trailer, they all will do that just fine, unless you plan on trailering you're car to the track with you're bike. I noticed on the speck stuff from Harley that Trent posted they mentioned increased hauling capacity. After you get so big that becomes a mute point. like harcosparky said of his freinds 750 CC BMW with a side car and two passengers, if that can do it, so can any Harley. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing some progress picture's of youre new used bike.

I think if I were to go with 6 speeds I would want 4 of them set up like my 4 speed and the other two to be about 15-1 at the rear wheel with one of them being a reverse, the other a granny gear for crawling out of hairy places.

Thanks to every one who participated in this thread so far, I've enjoyed the input.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Hay James ;
    This looks like an afordable starter bike.
    Just ran into this and could not resist posting it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    Hay James ;
    This looks like an afordable starter bike.
    Just ran into this and could not resist posting it.
    That bike has to be kept indoors. They shoulda used Pressure Treated lumber!

TERMINIX Pest Control offeres a Warranty for it as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Combs View Post
    I recently (last week) picked up a 2007 FLTR Road Glide, 96CI and 6 speed. Box stock with the full CA emmissions package, it runs very strong from 3-5K rpms. 4000 rpms in 4th is 80mph. 6th is a cruising gear, not worth having below 70 mph. 1st and 5th are straight cut gears, all the others are helical (sp?) cut. Straight is stronger but noisier. 1st for starts, 5th for passing.

There is no way I'd put a 6 speed on a 80, or an 88 for that matter. Lugging these motors kills power AND fuel mileage. That's why HD only put 6 speeds on Dynas last year - the lighter bike was OK with it on the 88.

You are right to stay with the 4 speed INHO, given the way you ride. Of course, you could go with a 5 and just use 1, 3 & 5.........

Just so you know, a helical cut gear is stronger as well as quieter than a straight cut gear due to more contact area on the tooth surface of the helical cut gear. The only real disadvantages to helical cut gears are that they produce side thrust and must be in constant mesh with its mating gear. Straight cut gears with the assistance of syncro's can be engaged and disengaged quite easily and produce no side thrust.

Tek

Quote Originally Posted by Teknition View Post
    Just so you know, a helical cut gear is stronger as well as quieter than a straight cut gear due to more contact area on the tooth surface of the helical cut gear. The only real disadvantages to helical cut gears are that they produce side thrust and must be in constant mesh with its mating gear. Straight cut gears with the assistance of syncro's can be engaged and disengaged quite easily and produce no side thrust.

Tek
    I don't know about the 6 speed tranny's but on the 4 speeds all the gears are in contact at all times. Shifting is accomplished through shifting clutch dogs that slide between the gears in effect locking or unlocking them to the mainshaft or counter shaft. Page 26 of this Andrews catalog shows the clutch dogs as figure C.
    http://www.andrews-products.com/Down...torcycle05.pdf

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Thanks for the link burninbriar, I've never seen the inside of a Harley gearcase and I'm always looking to learn something new. I was referring to gears in general, not necessarily harley transmissions. In applications where the engineers wish to couple and uncouple 2 gears by sliding one of the gears over on a shaft until the teeth mesh with the other gear you will see straight cut gears. Typically, when you see a helical cut gear it will be in constant mesh with the opposing gear.

Tek

harco; where did you get the 27 hp R75/5 BMW numbers from?
    The new bigger 750cc R75/5 came out in 1970 with 50 hp and 43 ft/lbs tq with
    4 speeds until the 1975 R75/6 series began with the 5 speeds.
    Depending on solo or sidecar use it could be ordered with the option of two different rear drive gear ratios. I'll take my R90/6 or R90s on a trip where 600-800 miles is a daily thing going across country, funny thing I can't find the dirty chain and I can go from California to Florida without parts falling off.

"Beemer Nut" on other forums.....=o&o>.....

Quote Originally Posted by Carl W. View Post
    I'll take my R90/6 or R90s on a trip where 600-800 miles is a daily thing going across country, funny thing I can't find the dirty chain and I can go from California to Florida without parts falling off.

"Beemer Nut" on other forums.....=o&o>.....
    What fun is that ?

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Testing for reactions. Usually I get the single finger salute within the 50 mile radius of home by beep beeping a broken down Harley, even if they ride home in a pickup bed.
    On the open road and at rest stops Harley owners are nice polite people that also like to ride. Fun to guess at how people act against different brands of scooters, to me I just enjoy the ride.
    .....=o&o>.....