Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Actually Harley is changing lots of things ....

I hear they have 6 speed boxes on some models and I hear they recently discovered FUEL INJECTION - might see it on smaller models this year.

A friend of mine dumped Harley for a Victory - I believe it has an S&S fuel injected V-Twin that he loves.

Harley is slowly but surely being dragged away (kicking and screaming) from thier older technology.

I never thought I'd see Fuel Injection on a production motorcycle, much less a Harley.

I remember thinking my normally aspirated 1982 Honda CB650 was a hot bike. Nowadays a 650 is a fuel injected v-twin capable of speeds over 125 MPH in stock condition. I recall when hitting 90 on a street bike to a bit of work, laying down over the tank to cut wind resistance in an effort to reach 90 on a 1973 Honda CL350 .... WOW that was a hairy ride.

Now I have a lil ol 650 that will hit 90 before I even want to - I gotta be careful with that bike and it's not even a sport bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Combs View Post
    They're posted on www.harleydavidson.com - just pick a bike and click on specs. I'm at work, where they block such fun sites.....
    This link doesn't do much for me, maybe I don't know how to use it , I click on the bike I want, click compare specks then click powertrain and all I get is price lists ?
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Quote Originally Posted by PJinNJ View Post
    I had 5 on my bike (97 Harley) and now I have three, I just like to ride, not shift. Shoot, I'd just as soon have 1 or an automatic if I could.
    Could you elaborate on the three ? Is this one of the three speed drag raceing transmissions ? I've read a little bit about the 3 speed drag trans but can't find a whole lot about them, having trouble finding info on the transmissions used by the Harley drag bikes period.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    This link doesn't do much for me, maybe I don't know how to use it , I click on the bike I want, click compare specks then click powertrain and all I get is price lists ?
    Should be able to click on compare specs and scroll down to the powertrain section. Maybe the site's acting up. I'll look it up tonight - just have the bike here, no manual.

The 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission, which was introduced on the Dyna family in 2006, features gear ratios optimized to match the torque curve of the new Twin Cam 96/96B engines. The addition of a higher-ratio sixth gear reduces top-gear rpm by 11 percent, compared to the previous 5-speed Big Twin transmission. At 75 mph, engine speed is reduced by 368 rpm, from 3227 rpm to 2859 rpm. Second through fourth gears have helical-cut teeth for quieter operation, and load carrying capacity has been increased significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    You'll need all the help you can get just to try and keep up with the Suzukis.

Maybe you could rip a 13 speed tranny out of a Kenworth!
    There is no factory harley that handles like a Texas chopper or one that can out perform it. Then again its somewhat more expensive as the most expensive Harley as well, and wayyyyyyyy better looking.

6th gear in this bike hits at speeds exceeding 70mph, rpm drops to 2200 rpm

1st 9.312

2nd 6.421

3rd 4.774

4th 3.926

5th 3.279

6th 2.790

Thanks Trent, those must be at the rear wheel.

Check this out. I was on the All Harly Drag Raceing Association web site. The Pro Dragster class use's no transmition, one speed.
    http://www.ahdra.com/rulespd.html

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by Trent_Combs View Post
    1st 9.312

2nd 6.421

3rd 4.774

4th 3.926

5th 3.279

6th 2.790
    Thanks again for taking time to look that up.
    It took a minute to calculate but here is how that 6 will compair to my 4 at the rear wheel.

1st 8.17

2nd 5.72

3rd 3.86

4th 3.14

I can honestly say I would like that low 1st for rough situations.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Pete, I just bought a '07 Night Train with the 96" and six speed. I also have a 1980 wide glide shovel head. Of course that one is 80" with 4 sd. The glide is regeared through the sprockets for better highway cruising. I can't tell you the sproket count right now. It cruises good at 65-75mph but sometimes can't decide where it wants to be around 45mph. It has good pull thru the gearing. The bike sounds good when working like a harley should. Now the new bike is alittle dissappointing to me. If I squint, I can almost swear I'm riding a Honda shadow. The fuel injection makes it idel high and fast and It doesn't even sound like my shovel. The 6 speed goes through the gears quickly and smoothly so there is no pull through them. Very Japanessish to me. When I took the seat off I swear I was looking under the hood of my Navigator. More electronics then I've ever seen. I realize that this is what the modern Harley rider seems to want. And I know that Harley has to keep up with the Japs to keep selling bikes. But I'm an old school rider. I like the simplisity of the old stuff. I want my Harley to look and feel like a Harley. I passed a starbucks last sunday with six new harleys out front. I just can't do it. Now having dissed my new scoot, I'll tell you what I do like about it. In 6th gear, it will run 80+ all day and with the gearing I can drop a gear and pass traffic easily. I ride 80 miles each way (up hill and thru the snow) to work. I need to be able to get around the slow driving sumbeaches. On these occations, this bike is a hoot to ride but for the around town bar runs and other functions, I'll roll out on the shovel.

I worked a job in Pittsbergh a couple of months ago and ment to look you up. Maybe next time.

Kelly