Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    You'll need all the help you can get just to try and keep up with the Suzukis.
    The question is, why do I WANT to keep up with the KawaYamaSuzukda's?

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    76 speed ?
    I agree it could come in handy totin heavy loads, but with 100 plus CI engines I don't know that it would be nessessary. I've toted some heavy loads with mine and its just 80 CI. remember this photo ?
    I'm definately more of a cruzzer than a racer. Love those bikiny beaches.
    Back in the days when the BMW twins only had 27 HP, and 4 gears they were toting driver, side car, and two passengers. I remember a friend I used to ride with, he and his wife on the bike, a kid and gear in the side car. That little BMW did the job. 25 years later he still has that black BMW and side car. This was back when a 750cc was a BIG BIKE!

Quote Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
    Back in the days when the BMW twins only had 27 HP, and 4 gears they were toting driver, side car, and two passengers. I remember a friend I used to ride with, he and his wife on the bike, a kid and gear in the side car. That little BMW did the job. 25 years later he still has that black BMW and side car. This was back when a 750cc was a BIG BIKE!
    Thats pretty cool, I bet that BMW is probably worth more now than it was then.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

I recently (last week) picked up a 2007 FLTR Road Glide, 96CI and 6 speed. Box stock with the full CA emmissions package, it runs very strong from 3-5K rpms. 4000 rpms in 4th is 80mph. 6th is a cruising gear, not worth having below 70 mph. 1st and 5th are straight cut gears, all the others are helical (sp?) cut. Straight is stronger but noisier. 1st for starts, 5th for passing.

There is no way I'd put a 6 speed on a 80, or an 88 for that matter. Lugging these motors kills power AND fuel mileage. That's why HD only put 6 speeds on Dynas last year - the lighter bike was OK with it on the 88.

You are right to stay with the 4 speed INHO, given the way you ride. Of course, you could go with a 5 and just use 1, 3 & 5.........

The question is, why do I WANT to keep up with the KawaYamaSuzukda's?
    exactly, the harly was never intended to run with the croch rockets and if you are trying to you obveously bought the wrong bike.
    even if you were to spend the $$ to get the speed of the suzukie out of your harly you would never have the handiling ability of the suzukie, or the breaking power. so all it would only take is a few curves and you would eather be left behind or worse left in a ditch.

if you feel the torque is there to pull the trailor without any truble then no point in waisting the $$.
    it sounds like you got a harly to ride like a harly so no point in messing with the extra gears.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    if you feel the torque is there to pull the trailor without any truble then no point in waisting the $$.
    it sounds like you got a harly to ride like a harly so no point in messing with the extra gears.
    I am definately keeping my 4 speed with the kicker (wouldn't give that up ! ) The main piont of this thread was to see why people like the 6 speed and to see what the drag racer's are useing in the way of a transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Combs View Post
    I recently (last week) picked up a 2007 FLTR Road Glide, 96CI and 6 speed. Box stock with the full CA emmissions package, it runs very strong from 3-5K rpms. 4000 rpms in 4th is 80mph. 6th is a cruising gear, not worth having below 70 mph. 1st and 5th are straight cut gears, all the others are helical (sp?) cut. Straight is stronger but noisier. 1st for starts, 5th for passing.
    Mine will be running 78 mph in 3rd at 4000 rpm, so you're 4th and my 3rd are almost the same. I didn't know Harley is useing a 6 speed, I know they've had a 5 speed for a long time. I am pretty sure you're 5th and my 4th are the same ( direct drive ) and you're 6th is probably .86 or .80 to 1. Does you're manual show you're gear ratio's ? It would be interesting to know what they are.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

They're posted on www.harleydavidson.com - just pick a bike and click on specs. I'm at work, where they block such fun sites.....

Default 4 os fine

4 is more than most need. Few people can ride well enough and even fewer have a need for more than that. It's this i got 6 or 8 or whatever mentality that gets people in trouble thinking they need more to be better, it's skill that gets you where you want to be. I had 5 on my bike (97 Harley) and now I have three, I just like to ride, not shift. Shoot, I'd just as soon have 1 or an automatic if I could.

Default I almost forgot

Most drag racers these days use an "AUTOCLUTCH". It's the hotest thing on the circuits. It's basically a steel wheel with grooves and stainless steel round ball bearing resting in them and when the centrifical force picks up it causes them to ride out in the grooves and pushes the plate engaging the clutch.

Default here's a link to the most popular one I know of