I'm putting new gears in my 4 speed ( 1984 Soft tail ) and a lot of people ask why I don't spend a little more and get a 6 speed tranny. I don't get this 6 speed stuff, I don't use the 4 gears I have most of the time. This whole idea of adding more gears to a bigger inch motor just seems backwards to me. More gears is usually to help an under powered engine. Having 100 plus inches and adding 2 more gears seems like a lot of extra weight and shifting with no real gain. What I'm doing is putting a lower first ( 2.60 in place of a 2.44 ) and upping my high end with a larger transmission sprocket and a smaller wheel sprocket. ( 24 and 49 tooth) This puts 1st very close to stock and a 4th cruising speed calculated at about 74 mph at 3100 rpm. Thats about 300 rpm less than stock.
I just have an 80 inch engine and I think this gearing will serve me well on the street but I think if I were to drag race a 100 inch or bigger I would be tempted to go with a 3 speed. Any way, I was just wondering if any one here is racing the big inchers and what they are using transmission wise ? Also any comments from any one using a 6 speed ?

If any one is interested, here are my new ratio's.
primary - 1.54 / 1
1st - 2.60 / 1
2nd - 1.82 / 1
3rd - 1.23 / 1
4th - 1 / 1
final - 24 - 49 front & rear tooth count

Here are my old ratio's.
primary - 1.54 / 1
1st - 2.44 / 1
2nd - 1.65 / 1
3rd - 1.23 / 1
4th - 1 / 1
final - 23 - 48 front & rear tooth count ( stock had a 51 tooth rear )

With my health the way it is, I was considering trying to find a tranny with a reverse in it. Then decided, naa. I want to keep first slowed down for when I get out in the National forests and such.