Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dynasty Stick mode

A few days ago I tried to run a SMAW bead on 1/8" steel with a brand new Dynasty 200 after rigging the connectors to the cables. It was plugged into 120v and the only thing I changed was amps started at 100 DC then 100 AC decreasing amps in each current. I can manage a decent bead on every other machine I've used but the puddle kept falling through at about an inch of bead. Any thoughts, did I not push a button or am I probably really out of practice cause it has been awhile since I've picked up a stinger. Sorry no pics camera is out of order at the moment.

I have read folks saying the Dynasty has a sweet arc on stick mode. I havn't found it yet.

Even i can run a bead with the dyn.

I'm purely an amature, my only thought is your dig setting may be too high.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

lramberson Guest

A little more info needed:

What type and size rod are you using?

On a 3/32 6010, I don't go more the 60 amps DC on pretty cruddy stuff. and if I am using a 6013, my favorite to cap and want a sweet weld with scorpion tail slag I have gone as high as 80 amps DC. This was playing around on some test stuff to set some base guide lines.
    This is just a what I used to start and really need more info.

I didn't change any of the setting when it came out of the box other than amps. I tried with 1/8" 6011 and 1/8" 6010. today I walked over to the tombstone buzzbox and ran a good bead at 105 amps and 90 amps ac. So I think its a something I either need to adjust from where it's preset or get used to it.

Ignore me if i'm bein' obtuse (early drankin'), you said you didn't touch any settings other than amperage, does that mean you didn't switch to SMAW mode?

jas-b Guest

I've got a 300 dx and it seems to me thet I need less amps stick welding with the dynasty than I use on my other machines (transformers and generaters).

jas-b

I did turn it to stick mode, as far as numbers I didn't change anything. stick mode turned amperage knob to 100 and output on and just burnt through in less than an inch of attempted weld.

jas-b
    I'm going to play around with it again tomorrow. I don't think there is anything wrong with the machine really. It's probably just set to maximize the arc with availble power input. . I have welded with an inverter before I have used a TA 300gms, I think it was, to stick a fitting back onto an exhaust pipe, but that wasn't a bead I welded it was a zap pull back, zap pull back. Looked like bubble gum if it was needed immediatly I would have ground it off and tried something different.

When I first got my Dynasty I tried it on SMAW, just to see if it even worked. I ran maybe half a rod of 7018, but I could tell it was not near the quality of arc as my old transformer . But only running half a rod, I probably didn’t give it an honest chance ! I need to take the time and really see what it will do on the SMAW side of things, but I have to say she’s pretty expressive on tig with aluminum!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ran a few beads today and was seriously inpressed. I had two 3"x3"x3/4" chucks laying around figured I'd try it. Ran a bead at 100amps and they melted together very well. let it cool put it in the vise hit with a 3lb hammer. It broke but only after a few good solid hits.
    I went back and ran a 6010 on the 1/8" steel with playing around with amps I had full fusion at about 40amps and no fall out.

jas-b Guest

good for you wrench. I haint had anybody explain why yet, and a few told me I aint right, but the dynasty stick welding seems to take less amps. I know an inverter is not as pure as an old Lincoln generater. The dynasty is switching on and off fast enough to superimpose dc on an AC bias. but from my experience, I turn down amps from what I think I need.

jas-b