Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Copper tig welds

just curious if anyone had experience or pictures of a copper tig weld?

Quote Originally Posted by farmboy weldor View Post
    No pics here of pure copper, but if you click the link in my sig line, you will see some copper-nickel welds.

Pure copper may not get quite as much color to it when tig welded.

I have tig'd copper. I can get Pics tomorrow. What's yer question "boy".
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    No pics here of pure copper, but if you click the link in my sig line, you will see some copper-nickel welds.

Pure copper may not get quite as much color to it when tig welded.
    Hey Engloid something is out of whack with your link. Some HTML glitch somewhere. I just get a bunch of gobblygook computer lingo on that link. Or is it just me? I havent seen seen those nifty welds in a while. Very inspiring.
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Quote Originally Posted by hurricunning View Post
    Hey Engloid something is out of whack with your link. Some HTML glitch somewhere. I just get a bunch of gobblygook computer lingo on that link. Or is it just me? I havent seen seen those nifty welds in a while. Very inspiring.
    Some browsers dont like when there's no "html" at the end of the URL.

thanks for the compliment.

I do some copper.

It takes all the heat you can give it. I was doing some 1/4" copper a few weeks ago with my Dynasty 200 and the machine was seriously under-powered.

I finally got a decent puddle up by clamping the part so the weld area was off the edge of my weld table and by using minutes of MAPP torch preheat at full output. I also had to use 100% helium. Still, I was coaxing the weld together, not welding normally.

The puddle itself is very, very wet, and the liquid as thin and runny as water. You weld fast with Copper, and there's little surface tension to the puddle. Have your rod ready, and be prepared to use a lot of it!

My welds usually turn completely black as they cool. So much of the copper gets so close to welding temperature near the bead I think I'd have to have an Argon box to keep the part looking clean. But it polishes wonderfully, and the black comes right off with modest brushing.

You do get a rainbow of colors, but I usually see those during pre-heat. I have to get the piece well beyond solder temperatures to have any hope of drawing a puddle with my lowly Dyn200 on thicker material. It's pretty wild to watch a 200A Helium arc focus on a single spot for even 20-30 seconds and not draw any evidence of a puddle at all! But, that's 1/4-inch copper for you...
    BigDTig, Dallas, Texas
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Coolmate III Cooler
    Miller Spectrum 125C
    Ellis 1600 Band Saw
    Ellis 9400 Drill Press

hey engloid, i went to your site, and your welds are awesome.
    they look like they are robotic welds.
    keep up the great work. hope i can get that good one day......
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Post TIG welding Copper

Tig welding copper is very hard if you never did it before. Because some race car frames were soldered be easy and use solder.
    Think Alot
    Learn Alot
    Read Alot
    And Then Do It Again & Again

Quote Originally Posted by leeschaumberg View Post
    Tig welding copper is very hard if you never did it before. Because some race car frames were soldered be easy and use solder.
    Seems like ANY welding is hard if you've never done it before!

Some race car frames are soldered!! I don't think so!!!
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
    1971 Roughneck 1e
    Stars-n-Stripes BWE
    Optrel Satellite OSE
    ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
    Lincoln 200SA Diesel
    O/A Set
    Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
    1.5 kVA Spot Welder
    Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Smile Race Car Frames

Any one saying that some race car frames are not soldered do not know!
    Think Alot
    Learn Alot
    Read Alot
    And Then Do It Again & Again