Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Retrofitting a MillerMatic 35 Mig Gun

I have a 1970s vintage MillerMatic 35 Mig welder. Itís been my main shop welder for over 10 years now. I think you could throw this thing off a cliff and it would still work.

When I purchased it used, it had been retrofitted with a Benard gun. Well, after years of dragging the lead around the shop floor, it just needs to be replaced.

Itís obvious that someone jerryrigged the lead to fit the MillerMatic 35 and I believe some of the original parts that would connect a factory replacement gun are missing. So, I went to Millerís web site and downloaded the manual. However, the parts for the gun refer to another manual which I canít find on their web site (I downloaded almost all the gun manuals). The manual it refers to for the gun is OM-1025.

Itís harder for me to find consumables for Benard. I now have to order them ahead or get them from a web store. Iíd rather support my LWS. So, Iíd like to switch to a more common gun. Iím guessing Tweco would be a good bet. Iíd like to be able to purchase a generic brand gun if need be.

Any ideas on what to switch to and where to go for help? My first approach is to call Millerís customer service Monday morning and see what they say.

Cool

You can put on a new Miller M-15 or M-25 gun with no problems....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

the miller parts book calls for a M-15 gun as the replacment gun. your LWS should be able to order you up on or you could probly find one on e-bay used where they changed it out for another gun of choice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I downloaded the MillerMatic 35 manual and the drive section didn't resemble mine at all. So, I went back to Miller's web page and entered the serial number along with the model number and got a different manual with parts diagrams that match my machine. I still don't know what model gun this is, but the manual has a part number for it. I'll check with Miller's customer service tomorrow to see if it's still a modern design.

Well, Miller doesn't make the gun for my welder anymore. Too bad as the rest of the welder still runs strong. My faith in Miller's support has been somewhat dented. They did give me the phone number to Bernard. I need to email Bernard photos of the gun and the manual to see if they still make one that is compatible.

I guess that's the curse of making a machine that lasts a long time. Still, I tend to judge a company by how long they make parts available for their products.

my miller parts book said it would take the M-15 as the replacement gun, i wonder why miller said no go on a replacement???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Lightbulb

the binzel ALPHA 2 is a good option its a 250 amp gun
    http://www.binzel-abicor.com/showpag...mnu=241&lng=27
    or the ALPHA 1 witch is a 180 amp
    http://www.binzel-abicor.com/showpag...n&skd=0&lng=27
    i would think the ALPHA 2 is a better fit and is less expensive option with readily available consumables.
    you might look into one of theses options as a replacement.
    we are having a similer discution about a replacement gun for a DVI on another board but the gun needs are simmiler.
    hope this helps
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Gary,

My first mig welder was a 1970ís Millermatic35s purchased used over 25 years ago. The machine came with a Tweco # 2 gun on a special Tweco adapter. I changed to a #1 Tweco gun using the same adapter. I would think that your lws has this adapter cataloged. I am away from the shop for a week or two if you need a pic I will be glad to snap one for you.

Ps I have visited this site many times, and never considered to join and post>>however I saw your trailer and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. You do superb work.

Hi I have and still use everyday a Miller MM35 , I put a Tweco mini mig gun on it I am not sure of the part# but I know they still make them. I use the gun on everything from sheetmetal to dump trucks, and wire size from 23 to 35. I am sure if you call any welding supply they will hook you up.
    Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Matic 35
    Piranha II

gweld
    welcome good to have ya aboard.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES