Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant breath

Hybrid View

Default cant breath

Just wanted to know if any body had any low cost non annoying breathing protection. I'v been doing some gavlanied tube welding and I know the green smoke cant be good. the smoke keeps drafting up into my hood and I have to blow it out. any ideas on how to keep welding and not past out. this is a weekend project so I dont need a big complicated hood or anything.

the first thing that comes to mind (not being a smart a** ) is hold your haed back a bit. if you can't see, you might need a cheater lense.

another idea is to create a small draft. not enough to mess with your gas but enough to pull the smoke out of your way.

The fumes from welding on galvanized are very bad. If you breath enough of them you can get metal fume fever which is not good (flu like symptoms). Do a search on the web to read up on it. Venting & an approved respirator are the way to go if your doing lots of galvanized stuff. For an occasional weld just try to keep your head out of the smoke & don't breath it. For a mask try the 3M model 8214 N95. Under $10 each.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Sometimes it seems like no matter what you do the only way the smoke from welding goes is under your hood! As long as you are not using a gas shielded process just put a fan behind you to blow everything in the opposite direction.

Some fumes from welding galvanized steel won't be fatal but they can make for an unpleasant experience for about the next 24 hours. The 3M N95 nuisance dust masks with the outlet valve are always a good idea no matter what you are welding!
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

You can dip the ends/areas to be welded in muratic acid, that will get rid of the zinc in short order. Then after the welding is done spray with cold zinc galv spray to get some of the protection back. Normally I use fluxcore and just blow the fumes away from me with a small battery powered fan as Bob suggested. In addition I always use a 3M mask with P100 filters under my hood anyway, it's cheap protection and new lungs are hard to come by.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Well when I attempted to weld galvanized metal (i didn't succeed) I used stick welding (well the person who showed me how to do it after I couldn't) They said the best way to do it is go outside and position yourself up wind and weld and let the smoke go the other direction but in winder it wouldn't be as easy as that. I don't even agree with people welding Galvanized metal inside without proper ventilation. Does anyone have any tips on what I could try doing next time when I'm welding galvanized I really feel stupid saying I cant. So any tips on how its done please enlighten me on this process. Or is it easier just welding it with Mig or Flux

Galvanizing is just a coating like many others, remove it with a grinder, sand blasting, or like suggested muriatic acid, and volia! you are welding regular steel. It's no different than paint or chrome.

That aside, always make sure you can do the welding without the smoke plume entering your hood. Take the time / necessary measures to breath clean air.

Adding the zinc to your weldment from the burned / absorbed galvinizing will not make the weld better in any way.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Default Have you tried a half face respirator

Whenever I weld anything at work that is dirty, oily, coated or use an electrode that creates heavy fumes I wear a cartridge type respirator. They are only half face respirators but if the have the charcoal activated pads they will stop 99% of the fumes. The ones we are given at work are 3M brand and cost about 60$ retail but will last a long time if cared for.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

if you breath that stuff drink some hot tea. i breath the stuff occasionally and hot tea will get rid of it. that yucky white stuff you get out of cows helps too.

When I welded the galvanized stuff I learned to "stay low" and kept the pool a bit more high chest level and out front in an attempt to keep the smoke away. The further from the "green smoke" the better I felt. Even with that I still wore the disposable mask. I still got a bunch of soot over everything, but it is coated metal. With the galvanized I would always try to weld outside.