Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MM250X burn in

Hybrid View

Default MM250X burn in

Hi, I have a MM250X without meters KK 1999 model with very little run time on it but I have a lot of problems with the burn in? It's real bad about poping back to the tip and burning off when I start out it may do it 10 times out of 20 starts. I try to start with the wire cut about about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long(stick out) I was told by a couple people that adjusting the burn in might cure it and I was also told that the 251's have an easy way to adjust the burn in..do any of you know how I can adjust it on my 250x? I've had a lot of electrical experience as I used to wire new homes and I've built-repaired computers for the last 10 years so going inside adjusting wouldn't be a problem for me if I knew where to go. I'm running 035 ER 70S6 solid wire and 75/25 gas with a new Bernard Q-200 amp gun 15` Any and all help appreciated!
    Thanks, Farris Young
    Last edited by fyoung; 12-29-2005 at 12:37 AM. Reason: added to it

I know from past experience that there is an adjustment that can easily be made on a board inside the machine to help your problem. I have done probably a dozen or more of them in the past, but unfotunately it's been long enough ago that I'm afraid I can't walk you through it without looking at a machine. I know you have to turn a dial with a small screwdriver one way or the other. My advise would be to contact a local Miller distributor that you do business with. If they ever sold many 250X's, I'm sure they've done this many times.

Default 250

OK..I'll try to remember to go by the distributor the next time I'm that way..it's about an hour drive from where I am but I go there a few times a year.. I think I remember reading somewhere how to do this but it was before i bought my welder and don't remember...someone else said on a 250x this was a common problem.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by fyoung; 12-31-2005 at 06:40 AM. Reason: error

Default kevin miller

Someone tole me that there is a user named kevin Miller and he would know where the pot is that i can adjust..you guys know this user? Thanks!

Farris,

Popping back on the starts is typically caused by drive roll slippage. There are some adjustments that can be made on the board inside the unit but I would suggest eliminating all of the possible external causes first.

1) Bad or incorrect gun liner (kinked, plugged or wrong size).
    2) Worn, incorrect or mis-aligned drive rolls.
    3) Spool brake tension to tight.
    4) Bad work clamp or loose connection to the clamp.
    5) Bad mig gun.
    6) Rusty welding wire.

If you are still having trouble after you have checked all of these items and resolved any issues you find please give me a call and we can discuss the internal adjustments.

Kevin
    Ph: (920)735-4505

Default I'll try suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Kevin
    Farris,

Popping back on the starts is typically caused by drive roll slippage. There are some adjustments that can be made on the board inside the unit but I would suggest eliminating all of the possible external causes first.

1) Bad or incorrect gun liner (kinked, plugged or wrong size).
    2) Worn, incorrect or mis-aligned drive rolls.
    3) Spool brake tension to tight.
    4) Bad work clamp or loose connection to the clamp.
    5) Bad mig gun.
    6) Rusty welding wire.

If you are still having trouble after you have checked all of these items and resolved any issues you find please give me a call and we can discuss the internal adjustments.

Kevin
    Ph: (920)735-4505
    Kevin, i appreciate the reply..I'll try all the suggested things and I'll get back to you if that don't cure it. i have a new bernard Q200 gun and the wire pulls freely thru it when doing it by hand..i try to keep my cable straight as possible etc. . I'll go from here...Thanks again, Farris