Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

cyberweld will also take pay-pall if you have it or want to use it. i think the free shipping is only on over $25 or some thing like that, i just got some stick electrodes and a few pairs of blue safty glasses there. had it in 2 days.
    ok back to the gloves.
    been using the TIG gloves quite a bit lately and i gotta say i'm still verry happy with them. they are holding up great and provide more heat protection than the tillmans but with as good or better feel sensitivity. so for us TIGer's without water cooled torches its a big +. they are firmly on my must have list for my TIG goodies box.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Ok, now I'm gonna have to have a pair!!!
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Ok, I've finally put some time in behind an arc instead of the table saw! I'm a long way from wearing any of them out, but I did some tig and mig work a couple days ago and compared them to my old set. One of the first things I noticed was the extra material in the wear areas of the palm. Not only will it provide wear resistance, but I like that fact that you have a little more padding in the areas that you typically rest you hand without making the entire glove overly cumbersome. I should have some other projects coming up soon to test them on, such as a weld-up shop building here in a few weeks.

I must report that I have been wearing the living daylights out of the material handling gloves. they've hauled plywood, sheetrock, boomed down numerous flatbeds, spent several hours at the controls of heavy equipment, cleaned up brick trash, gotten greasy while doing spring PMs on all the equipment. Absolutely love them! (but again, wish I could get just one size bigger...XXL)

SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 03-23-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Default Here goes.

I received my gloves about a month ago and have waited to post until I could give my feedback on all the gloves. Here 'tis:

Sheetmetal: I couldn't wear them. They are too small. Finding gloves that fit me is a regular problem. So, no surprise there. I gave them to a co-worker who reports: Well made and comfortable. Have used them for everything from the fine work of dialing in shaft couplers to pitching trash off the trailer and they have to be the best and toughest gloves I have ever had.

HD Mig/Stick: I love these gloves. 99% of my stick work is below 150A and these seem to be the perfect gloves for my application. The extra padding in wear areas addresses the wear and heat issues nicely without the extra weight and, more importantly, the stiffness of lesser gloves. I go through a regular break-in ritual with all my leather gloves I intend to have more than a week (most work gloves don't last that long). Afterwards, the HD Mig/Stick gloves were as comfortable and flexible as regular leather work gloves. It was like welding on a whole other plane. The first rule of welding I was taught is "Get comfortable". Maybe I never had a really good pair of gloves before, just expensive ones. But, these Miller gloves give me a new starting place to "get comfortable", my hands. Thank you, Miller.

MIG: I don't mig. Having said that, I love these gloves, too. I am using them as kind of HD Tig gloves. I am having to add lots of mink oil to the outside of the right glove to keep them soft, but mink oil is cheap. I also like these gloves better than the Tig version when I'm welding in freezers below zero. About half my customers freezers are -10, -20 or -40, but seem to account for 85% of the welding. The extra insulation works to keep hands warm, too. After breaking them in, they fit well enough to keep blood flowing to my fingers better than my old ones and I don't have to stop as often and thrust my right hand into the mouth of the 40,000 btu propane heater that accompanies me on extended jobs in the cold. This translates to more productivity making my company, my customer and me happier people. Thanks, Miller.

And finally, my fav, TIG: These were the first pair out of the box to really catch my eye. The lighter color and softer feel drew me in like a horsefly to a bug zapper. I really took my time breaking them in and had worn them probably ten times before striking the first arc with them on. Over the past month, my tig work has been all over the amperage dial. From 5A to 150A and everything in between. I've repaired cast iron art, pipe, plate, channel, etc. Other than those applications mentioned above, these gloves have impressed me with their balance of heat/radiation tolerance and comfort/dexterity. Plenty of protection when repairing racks and supple enough to hold coins while tacking the edges. Muchos gracias, Miller.

Recommendations:

Bigger sizes. All my gloves were XL. All were stretched to fit me except the sheetmetal gloves which I had to give up to a compatriot with smaller meathooks. Maybe offer XXL.

Excellent design on the forefinger seam of the tig gloves. The only improvement would be a seamless finger. Is this possible? I would pay extra for that.

HD Mig/Stick and Mig gloves could be improved by an extra strip along the outside of the little finger down to the base of the palm for extra heat and wear protection during fit-up and holding pieces to tack.

Pre-punch a hole (and maybe a brass grommet) in the cuffs for glove keeper clips.

Final suggestion: Get my LWS to stock them. Buying off the internet is great and I love the suppliers I deal with for my personal stuff. Having said that, reimbursement for them is cumbersome at best. My LWS takes my company purchase orders and the only thing better than Miller gloves is Miller gloves my company pays for directly.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Default They finally died

After about six weeks of almost daily use, the material handling gloves are about ready to be retired. Not bad, I think. I am horrible on gloves. Mainly because I wear them almost all the time that I'm not in the office (haven't tried typing with them, although I can use the buttons on my cell phone pretty good, so that's saying something). The pics tell most of the wear story. Most of the wear is on the right glove, which is fitting because I'm right handed. One small tear is starting to develop on the left middle finger, though. This weekend did them in. I was jack hammering out a lot of the side walks around my house in preparation for a remodeling project. Guess the rough edges of concrete was a little too much on the already tired gloves. Also, I did run them through the washer once after I worked outside in the rain and mud. Figured they were already water logged, so it couldn't hurt them to try. They made it through just fine. I did let them air dry. Didn't want to risk shrinking them in the dryer. SSS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 04-08-2007 at 07:00 PM.

I finally got to use my MIG gloves today. After several hours of aluminum, mostly around 200 amps+, I can say they were very nice. They did get warm on several occasions, but not overly. The best part is the leather did not shrink up or get hard. That has to be a first for me. The Tillmans I have always used get hardened on the first day and I just have to live with it. The MIller MIG's are the same now as when they were new. The cuff was a little snug, but not too bad. Overall, I say these are a winner as well.

The TIG gloves are still holding up very well. My Tillman TIG gloves are in better shape, though.......mainly because I quit using them completely. I haven't noticed any shrinkage or hardening, and I can still pick up the filler rod off the table.

Stick gloves are hanging tough still. Got to be my hands down favorites now.

The Metalworker gloves are starting to show some wear now. Two small holes are starting, but when you consider that I wear them for absolutely everything, it is a wonder they have lasted this long. They will definitley be replaced with the same ones.

FWIW, I noticed brwelder.com has the gloves for sale now.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread. We consider this "experiment" to be a great success. Our members really gave our new gloves a workout and it's been great to gather all of the comments first hand from the users.

We had lots of nice, positive feedback on the gloves, overall it seems that they were considered a useful, good-quality glove and some even said they were thinking of making a switch from their previous favorites to the new Miller gloves! (how much better does it get than that!?)

In looking at the suggestions in the threads, it seemed like we had a few comments come up repeatedly. Here's what the Arc Armor group said regarding each one:

1) Availability at the Local Welding Distributor
    Unfortunately Miller doesn't have control over what your local distributor carries. However, we have already had several distributors start carrying the Miller Arc Armor product line entirely due to their customer's requests. We are progressively introducing a Miller glove display at distributor locations across the U.S. Our advice is to keep requesting them from your local distributor and if they refuse to bring them in for you, there are several online suppliers that will gladly fill your order.

2) Size seems to run a bit small
    Although the gloves seem to run small, part of this perception is due to the loose fit most are used to with other welding gloves on the market. Miller has put a great deal of effort to create gloves that promote optimum dexterity and touch. It's difficult to do this with a loose fitting glove. However, we also understand that because the general public are used to the loose fit, we have decided to increase the size of the XL one full hand size and the Large half a hand size. This allows those who would like a looser fit to use a larger glove, yet still allows those who like that form fit to find a glove for them. If this still doesn't alleviate the problem, we already have plans of creating a XXL size if needed.

3) Seams in the finger tips
    This is a good observation and one we are looking at addressing with the evolution of our glove designs. Unfortunately, most all gloves on the market today have a similar problem. However, we feel that adding to the tactility and increasing the end user's dexterity while wearing the gloves is a priority.

4) Glove durability
    A few of you have shown concerns about how durable the gloves are. We've grown so accustom to "durable" welding gloves looking a certain way, that when we see a pair that looks good, we naturally get the impression that they couldn't hold up. However, we use premium materials: cow, pig and goat skin. On top of that, our welding gloves are sewn together with Kevlar thread. As with any tool, each has its purpose. The MIG glove is designed for light duty MIG and metal handling applications, where the Heavy Duty MIG/Stick glove is meant for higher amperage (heat) applications. Even still, we are looking at improving the heat resistance in the Heavy Duty gloves to increase the protection in high amperage applications.

5) Gloves with long cuffs
    We started off with a relatively small and focused product line. However, we are planning on adding to this line and we certainly will look at a design with longer gauntlets. On the other side, we've found that several end users would prefer gloves (especially TIG gloves) to have shorter cuffs. We are looking at this option as well.

6) MIG are lacking heat protection
    As stated earlier, the MIG glove was designed with a specific purpose in mind. We do offer a glove with more protection in the Heavy Duty MIG/Stick glove design.

If any of you would like to continue or add feedback, that would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you to all of the members who participated in this thread. The feedback has been great to receive.

Default Follow up on sizing

As far as my observations on glove size go, I'll add one last comment. For me, the overall size and fit of the XL is good. The area that lacks for my hands are the finger length. My fingers bottom out in the glove tip a half inch from the point that the the palm area would contact. This does limit some degree of mobility at the third knuckle. That point is articulating inside the body of the glove and not at the base of the finger sleeve. SSS

Cool Thanks

Big thanks to Miller for giveing me the chance to try out your new line of gloves.
    odds are good it would have been a long time befor i would have even gotten a chance to see them much less buy a pair had you not made me a test subject for the new line.
    just as i would expect the gloves have been a great as my Miller welding power scorces. although i dont expect the gloves to last as long as the machines, i am still abusing my set of gloves at every opertunity. be it yard work or welding they are my go too gloves. not only will i be buying more when these finaly get worn out ( looks like its going to be a wile still ) but i will recomend them to any one that i get the chance to.

great gloves and a great big thanks for letting me try them out.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

The stick/ mig gloves are super nice and are my very favorite ones. I will be buying those ones from now on. What more can I say about them???