Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I don't know what you mean by being phased out. The NEMA 6-50 grounding 240V hardware is industry standard for welding machines and other 50A 240V machinery.
    I'm speaking more in terms of the construciton electircal industry in Las Vegas and not the welding side of it. From my last conversation with an electrical inspector some time last fall, they were looking to see neutrals pulled to just about every location... Depending on the contractor, all of the temp power is NEMA twist lock (I can only think of one of the larger union shops that still uses household receps on their 20 amp temp power), and all of the spider boxes are 3 phase 5 wire. My background as an electrician gets in the way of my welding inexperience...

Quote Originally Posted by DevEmp View Post
    I'm speaking more in terms of the construciton electircal industry in Las Vegas and not the welding side of it. From my last conversation with an electrical inspector some time last fall, they were looking to see neutrals pulled to just about every location... Depending on the contractor, all of the temp power is NEMA twist lock (I can only think of one of the larger union shops that still uses household receps on their 20 amp temp power), and all of the spider boxes are 3 phase 5 wire. My background as an electrician gets in the way of my welding inexperience...
    News to me. My wife is an IBEW union journeyman in Las Vegas, and I used to be. I'm independent now. I see dedicated 240V loads in new commercial and industrial installations all the time. There is absolutely no need for a neutral to these locations, and no inspector has ever told me otherwise. I did have to teach one about Article 630, though.

Temp power for construction is a whole different deal. As for union contractors, Bombard is the biggest in town, followed by Mojave. Apex is up there now, too. My wife and I have both worked for all three. She's also worked for Sturgeon, if you remember when they were doing inside work.

I worked at Dyna when it was still a decent player in town... as for the neutral request, I can't remember if it came from Parkhouse or Salem. It was some time last year, probably near the time they began phasing in the 2005 NEC. I can understand some of the reasoning about pulling a neutral to something wanting 240V, but I'm not sure if it's just equipment manufacturers covering their ***, electrical engineers looking at worst case what if's, or if there really is some merit to it. All I know is that I go by what's on the drawings unless it's blatantly wrong.

As far as being in the union goes, you and I both know this welder will never be riding to work with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    News to me. My wife is an IBEW union journeyman in Las Vegas, and I used to be. I'm independent now. I see dedicated 240V loads in new commercial and industrial installations all the time. There is absolutely no need for a neutral to these locations, and no inspector has ever told me otherwise. I did have to teach one about Article 630, though.

Temp power for construction is a whole different deal. As for union contractors, Bombard is the biggest in town, followed by Mojave. Apex is up there now, too. My wife and I have both worked for all three. She's also worked for Sturgeon, if you remember when they were doing inside work.

Sundown, I see that a lot of people do use the 30 amp dryer outlet but I thought it woyuld be safer to use the "appropriate" sized wire for the job. I do under stand that my welder will draw no were near 50 amps. I actuallyu picked up the breaker and 6-50R plug this weekend and wired it up. For the piece of mind it gives me, it was worth the extra effort and a few bucks. Thanks.

Default M101 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by DevEmp View Post
    My new welder should be arriving today (Millermatic 180) and I've got a few questions...

I'll be practicing on some square tubing to get started, but my first real project will be on a trailer I picked up a few weeks ago. The trailer is a Canadian M101 - much like the Bantam and the M416. I plan on cutting in a tail gate and adding some support, and my question is what type of shielding gas and wire should I be using for this kind of work? I used the Welding Calculator and came up with CO2 and .035 ER70S-3 (or ER70S-6)... Does this sound right?

Thanks
    Hey DevEmp,
    Let's see a pic of your M101 trailer.
    Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by puddle jumper View Post
    Hey DevEmp,
    Let's see a pic of your M101 trailer.
    I haven't done anything to it yet, I'm elbow deep in my house remodel at the moment. I just textured what will be the kitchen tonight, and I'm hoping to lay tile this weekend. None of this really has anything to do with welding other than when the kitchen is done, I get to start on the trailer. I'll post the pictures as soon as the kitchen is done and I get some practice welds in.