Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxin^Bjorn View Post
    i was planning just to cap it with plate and drill holes in it and run a rod through it to beef it up
    Take it from someone who is a degreed structural engineer and was a licensed professional engineer prior to retirement - there is a reason that pressure vessels are either spherical or cylindrical with hemispherical ends. If you simply cap the ends with flat plate, you will introduce high bending stresses and an extreme stress concentration at the joint. It will take very little pressure to raise the stresses near the joint to the yield point of the material. The cyclic loading as the tank pressure rises and falls in operation will fatigue the metal very quickly.

At least you can save a little effort by not bothering to install a moisture drain. Fatigue cracks and tank failure will occur before the tank has a chance to corrode. Although your plan to install a reinforcing support longitudinally along the tank axis will help to relieve some to the joint stresses it will introduce another stress concentration point where the longitudinal support pierces/attaches to the flat ends.

To say what you are planning is a bad idea is probably the biggest understatement I've heard this year.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

I hope you take some of the advice given here. I DO NOT QUESTION YOUR WELDING ABILITIES and don't want to put you down, but the main reason I am stressing this point is, I am getting tired of all the rules and regulation changes due to projects like this. I am a third class power engineer and deal with the codes and regs all the time and these are always being changed because someone made their on low pressure boiler and air compressor tank which are all pressure vessels. If anyone even a friend made a air tank and it was on a vehicle or in their garage I would report it. I couldn't live with it on my conscience ( and I have a hard enough time sleeping now ) if someone were hurt or killed over something like this. Think of it this way. You are going to save what 200.00 maybe 300. 00 dollars. Is that worth the risk or someones life.

Please take this advice and buu a tank

Take care and be safe.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Default color

What color of flowers would you like on your grave? When not if this tank blows your hole will dug for you. Wake up and listen to what people are telling you. If you will not listen please do us all a favor and do not reproduce!!!

Just noticed that at the top of the main forum page the miller is saying " Dream it, Weld it " . Do not believe it ment to weld ilegally.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    HF 130 tig

why is it illegal if its not going to be used in public?....
    for just this reason.
    its to protect people too foolish to protect them selves. for thouse that think no biggie i can weld i'll just make one myself, 2 days later when it blows up and a pice of that sc40 pipe comes flying out of your garage and hits my wife walking down the street killing her wile you are at burger king gstting a snack. thats werst case of corse but it could just as easily keep you from killing your self also. some things are just not ment to be jurry rigged, red neck injeneared, how ever you want to call it. so even if its not being used in public its still not leagel to do it. the goverment had decided in this world of many diferent people that some need to be told " its a bad idea, dont do it" so as advised abouve by many here.... "DONT DO IT"
    Save up a bit and buy one, if i can do it on my income so can you. save your welding tallent for other things and leave this one to the pro's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

insted of tearing up your go cart to make a compressor, why not sell it and go buy a compressor
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thumbs up

kay guys don't worry i sold the cart and am buying a Devair 240gal compressor,, wont be as fun but i guess it will be safer
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

glad to here it. now you can use the time you saved to build some thing else insted and you will be safe. 240gal compressor wow that one big tank, what you need all that for??? i have a 60 or 80 gal and its got plenty of air. or did you just get a good deal on it so you went for it.??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

i got an ausome deal on it , it was $3200.00, it's got 2 pumps on it and 2 motors. it makes a ton or compressed air!
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

Glad to hear it and wish you great luck with all your welding projects. Glad I checked this post to see how you made out.

Have fun and be safe.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    HF 130 tig