Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My guess is you can buy a new or used compressor cheaper than you can build one. And a lot safer.

Default How long will it be?

I haven't taken the time to calculate the length but I figure that a 2 1/2" pipe would have to be really long to get a 250 gallon tank. I'm just thinking I have a stand up compressor with a 60 gallon tank and it is 22" diameter.
    Just a thought.

Default My mistake. OOPs

I just re read your initial post and saw it was 2 1/2' not inch.

Exclamation

I went back to look for your location but it is not listed. Isure hope your not building that BOMB near me !!!

I would not recommend building an air tank. You would be much better off buying a used tank or waiting for a sale on new ones. Their are laws in Canada which prohib none certified welders from welding pressure vessels and their are very serious fines. Caping the ends to me show me that the idea is not sound as welded convex caps would be the preferred choice.

I know that it seems easy to weld up some material and use it for an air tank but I can't stress the fact that it is ilegal.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Bjorn buddy, You arnt on MSN right now so if I cant say it there Ill say it here. Man everyone on this thread says its a bad ideasave up money and buy one for god sakes your going to kill yourself or someone else its not worth it. By time you buy all the stuff to build it thats going to be money that could go for the compressor. as jamlit said its illigal. Use your head buddy your a good guy to talk to I dotn need to find out that you died because of this compressor blowing up or something. I woudlent even attempt to weld it do yuo even have a pressor ticket? your 16 I wouldent think you would if you know someone who does get them to its ALOT safer thenyou doing it yourself. Your 16 you have a long life ahead of you.

You said you were going to use a 6.5 motor from your go-cart so i'm assuming thats a gasoline engine. If you did use that it would have to be placed outside and you have the problem of protecting the compressor from the weather adding more money to the project. just a thought cause we all know about CO poisioning. I'm going to strongly suggest that you don't make this tank as would everybody with a good head on their shoulders that reads this thread. A while back I saw an article with pics of a poor guy who was on the receiving end of a compressor that exploded and it is not a pleasant way to die. BTW you really don't need a 250 gallon tank for what you do, a decent 60 gallon with 10cfm would be plenty and a million times safer.

Listen to the advice everybody has given you because it could save yours or somebody eleses life.

So many people trying to advise you not to fabricate a pressure vessel, yet your doing it any way.
    A freind of mine , also ex coworker was beeing advised not to do something related to his carreer by freinds and professionals, he did it any way, now he is in jail for killing and maiming a few people as a result of his actions. And it was very uncomfortable to say the least for me being put on the witness stand at his trial.
    Do yourself and the people around you a favor, buy a second hand air compressor and save your talents for what you do best, your coustom trailers.
    I'm not questioning your welding capabuilities, but welders don't design tanks, they build them from blue prints drawn by engineers who went to collage to learn how to design tanks, no mater how big or small.

http://www.cdc.gov/Niosh/face/stateface/ca/05ca010.html

This is a slightly different case, but still I think it should get the point across very well. It is a good read for anybody that has/works with compressed air...SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 02-20-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Exclamation

holy **** SSS that is friken crazy! .. i'm second guessing the build my own tank thing now... What if i build a little smaller tank?.. The one on the jeep worked so why wont this one? the one in that pic SSS is like 16gage sheetmetal, i want to make mine with sch40, isent that thick enough that it isent gunna explode at 110psi? .... Hmm .. one of my friends is a pipe welder .. well not anymore but he has been doing it for years and he thinks as long as i run the rod through it should be fine. What is classified as a pressure vessel anyways?,, i made a welding gas manifold that i run 3 welders off one tank of gas and it works fine... that is operating at roughly the same psi and tig welded it and is 3/16 5x5 square tube... well i dunno i'm probaly not gunna do it anymore but why is it illegal if its not going to be used in public?....
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com