Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Another dumb compressor idea form Bjorn.

Kay guys , heres another idea i have with compressed air. I dont have any money to buy a new air compressor cz i'm buying a new jeep, but i have a 6.5hp motor from my go-cart and was thinking could i just get one of those air compressor pumps from princess auto and build an air tank. I want the tank to be about 240 gallons, how thick would the pipe have to be?,, i figure i need about a 2 1/2' o.d. pipe ,, but how am i going to cap the ends? and what kind of valve do i need to stop the compressor when the tank is full?
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

I'm going to completely stay away from advice on a tank fab job of that size....At 2.5' diam/120psi that works out to 84,780 lbs of force against each end (or 169,560lbs between the two).

As for the motor controls, though. Your best bet is to just get an unloader valve that is designed for motor driven compressors. It is a combination unloader valve and idle control mechanism. When a predetermine pressure is reached, a cable connected to the carb throttle drops it back to idle, and it vents the compression back to the atmosphere and a check valve seals the tank. They never really shut off, they just redirect. SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 02-19-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks for the valve advice dude.. how did u figure out the pounds of pressure on the ends??..

i'm going to do this anyways guys so dont try to convince me not to ..
    Last edited by Bmxin^Bjorn; 02-19-2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: wrong words
    Jorgensen MFG.
    www.ehhitch.com

Hope you have good insurance, both liability and life!
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Curious about how one goes about fabricating the spherical ends of an air tank.

i was planning just to cap it with plate and drill holes in it and run a rod through it to beef it up
    Jorgensen MFG.
    www.ehhitch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxin^Bjorn View Post
    ... how did u figure out the pounds of pressure on the ends??...
    Pounds per square inch X number of square inches (3.1416 X R^2)
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS

As for the motor controls, though. Your best bet is to just get an unloader valve that is designed for motor driven compressors. It is a combination unloader valve and idle control mechanism
    Where's a good source for one of these?

pincess auto has stuff like that.. Should i mig weld it or tig?? any ideas?
    Jorgensen MFG.
    www.ehhitch.com

Default Air tanks

You can buy air tanks pre-made for a lot less trouble then building them. Spherical ends can also be bought.