Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground Clamps

Default Ground Clamps

Does anyone make a ground clamp that will fit 2.5 pipe? Right now I just put my ground on the pipe up side down. It works, but not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanDowdy View Post
    Does anyone make a ground clamp that will fit 2.5 pipe? Right now I just put my ground on the pipe up side down. It works, but not the best.
    I'm not sure it this would work in your situation but I have often times just tacked a small piece of 1/4" plate (or something similar) to what I was welding and attached my clamp to it. After I'm done, I knock it off and grind the spot flush with a flap disc.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Good idea, but this is when I'm building fence, so I'm moving a lot. I've also tried putting a C clamps on the pipe then grounding on it. Does not work well either.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanDowdy View Post
    Good idea, but this is when I'm building fence, so I'm moving a lot. I've also tried putting a C clamps on the pipe then grounding on it. Does not work well either.
    If you need mobility like that, I might just get one of the large capacity Vice Grip locking pliers (the deep, rounded jaw kind) and modify it. Remove the coating on the jaws and where you attach the cable and weld away. Might get a little hot but if you are moving that much it should work just fine.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    If you need mobility like that, I might just get one of the large capacity Vice Grip locking pliers (the deep, rounded jaw kind) and modify it. Remove the coating on the jaws and where you attach the cable and weld away. Might get a little hot but if you are moving that much it should work just fine.
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. Just clamp your ground to the vice grip head and move the vice grips along.

Weld a bolt on the grips or clamp and bolt the ground cable directly to it.

Thumbs up

Weld a bolt on the grips or clamp and bolt the ground cable directly to it.
    I have the same setup in the shop at the farm for other reasons, but do so for the same results.

Good question and great responses.

Bryan
    I have a few magnetic clamps that really work well.
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

western makes a real nice heavy duty magnetic groung clamp with on/off switch they have been selling real good

Default ground clamp

I use a pipeline ground which has 6 magnets on it(very strong magnets)
    and an arm that goes up and comes back down into the bevel, works very
    well. I do have a picture of it on my rig pics in welding rig pics thread.
    In a pinch if you take a piece of pipe(what ever size your welding on)
    and cut a coupon out of it ( 3-4" wide) then cut along the side(so you now
    have a c shape) then weld a tab, or what I do is weld a bolt on to it then
    I put an end on my cable then I tighten my cable onto it with a nut. then
    you just push the c shape coupon onto the pie and your good to go.
    works well pipelining but sometimes it can leave a small arc spot on the
    pipe but much cheaper then a pipeline ground($185) If your not sure what I am trying to say(canadian eh) then send me a reply and I might send you a pic if I can find one.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go