Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating;

Default Jhchoppers

By the way checked your web site too. Nice stuff. I wish I had the artistic ability you bike builders have. I mean each and every bike is more than a machine, it's a flat out piece of art. Also I am going to make a larger version of the roller on your tools page. I want to try building my own trailer fenders in the near future. Thanks again for the info. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    By the way checked your web site too. Nice stuff. I wish I had the artistic ability you bike builders have. I mean each and every bike is more than a machine, it's a flat out piece of art. Also I am going to make a larger version of the roller on your tools page. I want to try building my own trailer fenders in the near future. Thanks again for the info. Dave
    Your welcome, and thanks for the compliments....

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    I am curious if any one has used these small powder coat systems mentioned in the above posts. I want to know if they are really worth it or if I should continue dealing with the local thief (powder coater) at 90.00 per foot. thanks Dave
    Do mean you are being charged $90.00 a foot for powder coating?For 3 foot tall rails I pay about $7-$9 a foot.I just got a qoute for a 6 foot tall fence at $ 10.00 /Foot. I have used powdercoated parts out side alot and think the durability is far better than paint.I try to do a test fit of rails before they go to the p.c. to keep re-work to a minimum,but have done a alot of touch-ups with some spray can enamel.The powder is is electrostaticly applied so if it is done right coverage is not a problem.

Default 90.00 per foot

Yes, I said $90.00 per foot on average for railings, meaning 1' wide x 4' tall. I had a customer that wanted a trailer frame powder coated, it was a 5'x10' utility trailer. The frame is just under 60' of 2x3x3/16" angle and the top rails less than 20' of 1 1/2 angle plus the two fenders measuring 9" x 32". They price quote was for $750.00. There is only one guy here local and his price is between $9-$12 per linear foot of material. Not to mention the price if it's not pre preped for them. They get $15 per linear foot or more if they have to do anything more than wipe the parts down before coating. Now you see why I want to find out about doing it myself?
    The next closest powder coating shop is about 30 or so miles in either direction, we don't have to many options in this area. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

With what pics JHC sent you, looks like you could make that yourself also, whatever size to suit your needs! Of course, get too good at it, then all the business that you get, you may have less time for welding! I know some guys in Hawaii send out their parts. Some use portable heat lamps, and some have pros do it (though I never heard of anyone charging THAT much!
    We all know you can build anything from nothing, make your own ovens from the pics
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default bert

I think that will be my next project (building an oven), in the mean time I'm trying to get any and all info about the whole powder coating and plating processes available. That's another problem nobody does any kind of plating around here either, closest place I know of is about an hour or so away from me. Who knows what will happen but I hope one will enhance the other (welding vs. powder coating) Dave

Default re: Plating

Dabar39,
    there is a good machine shop over here and he sends ALL his parts to the mainland for plating. Only 1 plating shop here in Hawaii, and I've heard nothing but bad news from them. Besides his machine parts for work, the owner is also a big bike fan. Redos old motorcycles and sends stuff to be plated to the mainland...Far as Powder Coating, yeah, hope you do it. Far as plating, yeesh...VERY toxic!!! Saw somewhere, (probably on the internet or on Discovery Channel) they show you how to plate using 50 gal drums. Lots of bad chemicals....

Keep it safe
    Bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I seen someone was questioning the durability of powder coat, I work for a factory where we manufacture the tail fins for various bombs that are used by the navy and air force. We also do our painting and powder coat is required because of its durability. we have to test a set number of parts in a heated salt water tank because of the abuse and the rough enviroment these thing will be stored in. in the 11 years I have been with the company
    we have never had a problem with the paint holding up. I would say if done properly it is the most durable paint you could use.

I wasn't questioning the durability it's the process itself. When i make projects from many scrolls welded together as in the pic below
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrnamentIronPics/
    they will rust where the scrolls are welded and the powder can't flow back between the curved metal making it rust soon after setting it outside. I tried 3 different pc vendors and they were all the same. One guy said he could do a better job if i paid him more but the job wasn't any better, still rust. I know all about the coating since i worked in a sheetmetal shop building the ovens and i was a millright on an automatic spray line that was all electrostatic sprayed but no one can get back in between the curves....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I see what you are talking about getting the paint in the scrolls, If you could find someone in you're area that powder coats in an assembly line fashion they usuall run the parts through tanks that wash dry and coat with rust preventitive which is thin enough to get in those tight places then even if paint dosent get in there it wont rust. nice work too by the way