Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i mostly use the walters, no tools needed to put then on or change them out as they have there own threds built in. only drawback is the price i have used some nice ones from e-bay at about $2 each but they dont have there own built in thred so you need to use the grinders chuck, they are also a fiber backed disk unlike the walter plastic backing so the cheepoes dont alow for cutting it back like the walters, the walters also last longer, so i guess the $$ kinda evens out in the end a little?? if $$ is tight the e-bays work great for the $$ but if ya got the $$ the walter is a nicer setup, wal-marts are ok but even the e-bay $2 version was beter in my opinion, that being said there are lots of diferent versions out on e-bay, the ones i got were from pionear abrasives and worked realy well.
    just like may of you as soon as i tryed the first flap disk i was hooked, they are great.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I never use a grinder without a gaurd. The company I work for allows the gaurd to be cut down from 180 deg to 120. I found in doing this the gaurd never gets in the way. The air grinder I was using that day when the disk blew up was some strange brand, almost a combo sander grinder. It had a gaurd, but was a single handed tool. I've never seen nor used one like it since.

When I was 14 years old I had a bunch of old dirtbikes I messed around with. One day I was doing some painting on a bike frame, and my dad set me up with a wire wheel chucked into a 3/8" hand drill. I was holding the frame down with my foot, until the wire wheel grabbed my sneeker laces and wound them up tight. The drill was bound up so tight against my foot, I couldn't shut it off! Just like in the previous posting, I had to run away from the extention cord to shut the drill off. I learned a good lesson that day.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

got my order of flapper disc and cutoff wheels from Bullet Industries the other day... quality seems exceptional. Good company to deal with..
    Jim

I just used a flap disk on a big pipe rail job I just started. I have to say it is better then Apple Pie. Mind you I paid a wopping $10 for 1 disk from a local hardware store but it was well worth it. I need to find out and share with you Gents. the grading and the make.

What are you guys paying for good quality flap discs. Pearl maxi-disc work well and last long they about 14 bucks, Sait is 10 or 11. Metabo and Radnor are not a bad value at 5 or 6 bucks. Anyone know a place thats sells them online for less?

I have to say for 1 disk they are expensive. I checked out the Walters on ebay they are offering 10 disks for around $68.00/shipping. not bad ha.

thats prity good for walters. they last a good long time for a flap disk.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

bails18 Guest

Default Flap Discs & Abrasives

If anyone is interested in Flap Discs shoot me an e-mail (matt@phoenixabrasives.com).

I will sell you Flap Discs for $4.99/each, and you would have to buy at least a box of each grit. 10/Box.

We stand behind our product 100%. If you are not satisfied, we will credit you on return of discs. I am positive you will be satisfied. Flap Discs are our 2nd biggest mover next to belts.

We also carry a full line of abrasives, so if you are looking for any other abrasives let me know.

Default flap disc

I have found that the metabo and sait are pretty good discs for the price. Also I was one of those guys that never used a handle or a guard until I had a wire wheel catch in a corner and flipped over on my hand. I still have some nasty scars on the area between my thumb and fore finger from the flesh being ripped off my hand. It wasn't pretty and it definatly made me a believer in using two hands and a handle. Dave

P.S. those of you that take this subject lightly, I will gladly send you some pics of the scars
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Heck, post your mishaps... Education and awareness doesn't come cheap, but we can all learn from each others mistakes.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000