Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I learned my lession once while grinding, This year was the first year I really had to do grinding on finished projects and one day I wasent paying close attention and a zip cutwas ont he grinder and it blew up on my hand and shirt but I had a thick sweater on luckly no one got hurt, I always check the grinding discs whe i am using them now. It gave me a little bit of a scare ill never make that mistake again!
    I have never used the flap discs before we have them at the shop when using them do you use them the exact same way as a grinding disc or would you use them a different way that makes them work better or last longer.

Thanks for the topic. I have one but haven't used it much. I will have to try it a little more and see if I like it. Has anyone used one of these to take paint off of metal for repainting?

PFERD makes a good product as well, I've used the #M and PFERD paint stripping wheels, both work well and don't really mare up th surface, depending on th paint thickness sometimes they don't last to long
    Trailblazer 302G
    MM 210 with spool gun
    Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
    Smith torches
    Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
    griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    I learned my lession once while grinding, This year was the first year I really had to do grinding on finished projects and one day I wasent paying close attention and a zip cutwas ont he grinder and it blew up on my hand and shirt but I had a thick sweater on luckly no one got hurt, I always check the grinding discs whe i am using them now. It gave me a little bit of a scare ill never make that mistake again!
    I have never used the flap discs before we have them at the shop when using them do you use them the exact same way as a grinding disc or would you use them a different way that makes them work better or last longer.
    yes you use the the same way .It takes metal off a little slower so its good for beginners.
    Last edited by chris madden; 05-07-2007 at 12:21 AM.

I would be careful putting both grinding disk and flap disk together, you need to have them both centered and this might give you a problem due to the thickness, not to mention the extra weight spinning around on that arbor. Just my OHO[old honest opinion]...Paul

Paulrbrown:
    It was a 5" Klingspor, on a 5" air grinder. The disk broke into four pieces: three large chunks about one third the disk area each, and the fourth piece was the date stamp, located near the hole in the center.
    I wanted to deburr an edge of a five inch pipe flange, so I held the flange flat on the table top with one hand, and pulled the trigger on the grinder. Within a second the disk fractured. My thumb was only 6" at most away from the disk.

I did a shock test using Klingspors and Orange Walters, to see how many times I could hit each disk with a ball pein hammer before they shattered.
    Results I found were quite different. The Walter disk just got mis-shapen after 17 hits, it didn't actually shatter apart like the other disk did after just three hits.

Anyhow, any kind of grinding / cutting wheels can blow up, so I always check disks and wheels before use. There's too many stitch-up stories floating around for my liking
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Jonny, have you used any of the Klingspor double disks? They have a plastic center piece and 2 disks which are facing opposite directions. They were ok, but I still like the single type. I have not seen the Walter brand here in the US. I am a firm believer in holding the grinder with both hands, and never using one with out the handle. Both times that I have been bit by a 4.5" grinder, it was not having a hand on the handle, my boss did not like handles, so I had to use his handle less grinder and got my hand into the flap disk, the other time, I was holding 1 inch square tubing and had a cup wire brush jump off the tubing and into my T shirt at chest level and wind up, I could not get the switch off fast enough, so I had to run away from the extension cord to unplug the grinder, anyway, I had a real sore chest and nasty gouge in my chest. NO more one handed grinding for me, that picture of your hand is still ingrained in my head....ouch!!!!!! it would be great if someone made a conical disk so you could chamfer the inside of pipe, those stones they make just chatter around and don't do a good job. Till later, hope this helps someone out there....Paul 'the 2 handed grinder dude'

Paul I too am a firm beleaver in useing two hand and keeping the handle, I have yet to be bit by a grinder and I dont really feel like giving it the chance to get me

Back in ArtSchool days, yeah I know!!!, I saw a guy grinding with a 7 inch sanding disk on his big 7 inch grinder, he had his shirt unbuttoned and hanging out his pants, well, when that bad boy grinder blew his shirt up and got wrapped into it, it went into his ribs, I always think of that image, especially with the biguns....Scaredy Cat Paul

I'm a firm beliver in leaving the gaurd on, alot of people I know take them off cuz they "get in the way", I don't think that is a good enough excuse to do away with a saftey feature
    Trailblazer 302G
    MM 210 with spool gun
    Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
    Smith torches
    Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
    griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!