Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default grandpa liked the flap discs

My grandpas been welding for almost his whole life and he 70 now and hes never used a flap discs before, so I gave him one to try and he loved it he said he wished he would of tryed these things a long time ago, he also said he'll never use a grinding wheel again.

What kind of flap discs do you use? I too have only used grinding discs in the past.

I use 80 and 60 grit flap discs,7" and 4 1/2" as for the brands I use whatever's avalible closests to my area. but the best ones I've used so far are the Dewalt, I alos prefer the type 29 ove type 27 the 27 is flat and the 29 is slightly angled, but it all depends on what your grinding. Hope this helps

I'm usally grinding railings like 1/2 square or 1 1/4 tubing.

I've been using them for awhile now. I only use the grinding discs for grinding out bad stuff. The flap discs are great for dressing the weld, removing surface stuff and final cleaning.

I'd just stay away from the Harbor Freight ones.
    BullDog Dave
    05 Dodge CTD 4x4
    MillerMatic 210
    Spectrum 625
    Thunderbolt XL

Walter flap discs are the best! Nothing else can match em!
    Jorgensen MFG.
    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
    www.ehhitch.com

Heck they even got'em at Wal-Mart!!

The 38-40 grit flapper discs take off metal much faster and you can still get an almost polished finish with a little finesse. Also, when you think they're worn out....keep on going! They last quite a while!
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

I've used a number of different brands of flap disks / mop disks. Walter are the only ones (to my knoledge) that can be shaved down (the plastic backing) to utillize the full abrasive component. I tried shaving other disks down, plastic backed, and when one blew up on me, the manufacturer stated that the disk was modified from it's origional state. Not pretty.

Walter has disks designed to remove a portion of the plastic backing so you can use the disk after the edge wears off. If you buy your own disks, this becomes an asset, less cost for consumables.

I suffered a laceration and bruising to my gut, a broken thumb, and swollen hand.
    This damage happened through a leather glove.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Dang, that thing blowed up real good....I have been able to use disks down to the plastic, the brands I use are Klingspor,Sait,and I can't remember the others, what size wheel, 7 or 4.5 that blew up?????That photo does alot more for my wanting to be careful than any warning labels....Thanks,Paul