Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Any tips on bending without a bender?

I'm wondering if it is possible to bend 1" square tubing without a tube bender or touches. I can get access to tourches but would rather not have to. I was thinking of cutting little slices in the square tubing and thinking it would bend to the correct angle I need it too. Has anyone ever attempted this? will it even work? I dont nessicarliy need the tubing bent I could cut it on angles but I thought if I could bend it, it would look alot better. It's going to be a stand to hold the drive off of my boat when I take it off for the winter, and the square tubing is 1/8" thick?

Default bending tubing

I can't think of any way that you can bend the tubing without having to modify it. I've bent a lot of tubing, but I either cut little notches out so it could bend and welded it back together after bending. Even when using a bender, you need to have modified your bender if it is not made for tubing. It will swell out on the sides and crimp terrible on the inside of the bend. I have used a pipe bender on 1" tubing, but we welded a 1/2" piece of round stock on the inside radius lengthwise to press in on the tubing and allow it to bend without crimping.
    Welding Junkie! Love this stuff. Love to hear from the Pros.

Or you can use a ready made elbow like quickfab elbows. here is a picture of a display stand we made with them and powdercoated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137