Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are there Electrodes for Welding Bronze?

I have been told there are electrodes for welding bronze, is this true. I don't mean brazing, I mean real welding.

Jerry

Default Welding Bronze

If you use the same filler metal as the base metal, its welding.

doesnt matter if its lead, steel, aluminum or bronze

Im sure there is a flux coated stick electrode that is made of bronze.

Or you can use bronze rod and flux with a torch

Or flux coated bronze rod and a torch

Or Bare bronze rod and a Tig

In Any case the result is the same.

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

everdur. It's a silicon bronze material. I've only used it with tig.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by makoman1860 View Post
    If you use the same filler metal as the base metal, its welding.

doesnt matter if its lead, steel, aluminum or bronze

Im sure there is a flux coated stick electrode that is made of bronze.

Or you can use bronze rod and flux with a torch

Or flux coated bronze rod and a torch

Or Bare bronze rod and a Tig

In Any case the result is the same.

-Aaron
    I am going to correct you and I hope you don't take it wrong.

Soldering is any thing up to 800F (or some thing like that)
    Brazing as anything over 800F to 1200F (?)
    Welding is over 1300F
    It has nothing to do with the filler type as I can weld a36 steel with 309 stainless filler
    and a flux coated bronze rod and a torch sounds like brazing to me

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Default lead welding

Fat-Fab,
    No Problem on the correction. I know terminology changes with time, in fact the AWS classified those temps, so what does 4043 welding rod fall under? It melts under 1200 but yet can be the same as the parent metal, so is it brazing or welding? I took a picture from my Linde book on welding 1963 to show where I got lead welding.

Not that this at all matters, just for educational fun.
    -Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Quote Originally Posted by makoman1860 View Post
    Fat-Fab,
    No Problem on the correction. I know terminology changes with time, in fact the AWS classified those temps, so what does 4043 welding rod fall under? It melts under 1200 but yet can be the same as the parent metal, so is it brazing or welding? I took a picture from my Linde book on welding 1963 to show where I got lead welding.

Not that this at all matters, just for educational fun.
    -Aaron
    Not certin about this but I think we would have a hard time welding sheet 4043 using 40430filler with a torgh that only got to 1200 degs. Would we not need it to go much higher because of the heat loss to the sheet? Then if we were to heat the whole thing to say 1150 then got out the 1200 deg torch would the whole thing just fall apart in our laps and pi** us off? Good question?

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Fat-Fab,
    It is normal to weld say....1100 aluminum with 1100 filler, or copper with copper filler. The filler and base material can be exactly the same since the whole panel is not at the melting temperature, only where you are welding. Thats how we make polished airplane skins out of 6061 ( 5356 filler ), if we used 4043 filler you would be able to see the planished out welds, that and 4043 isnt very ductile. The torch is 6,300 degrees or so, but with proper useage you can do a lot. The pic is 5052 flange welded with the torch, for a reproduction aircraft fuel tank.
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

O.K. Are there welding rods you can use with a Tombstone that is bronze. I understand the TIG thing very well. I TIG bronze on a regular basis.

Who can I get these bronze electrodes from? What are their numbers?

Jerry

And this is a practice brazed joint using a plate of 5052, a pipe of 6061 and 4047 as the brazing alloy....also with the torch.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Default welding rod

Sorry Jerry, its easy to get off topic..

How about some All-state 24 AC/DC

That should do ya!

If im wrong im sure I will hear about it
    -Aaron

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder