Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jfsmith View Post
    O.K. Are there welding rods you can use with a Tombstone that is bronze. I understand the TIG thing very well. I TIG bronze on a regular basis.

Who can I get these bronze electrodes from? What are their numbers?

Jerry
    I use phospher-bronze welding rods, work on bronze-to-bronze and bronze-to-steel (for wear strips).
    Last edited by calweld; 02-17-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Electrodes are made for welding bronze.Try a welding supplier or a repair shop.
    Strata make one (Strata 333).
    Last edited by R W; 02-17-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Default Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Aerometalworker View Post
    Fat-Fab,
    No Problem on the correction. I know terminology changes with time, in fact the AWS classified those temps, so what does 4043 welding rod fall under? It melts under 1200 but yet can be the same as the parent metal, so is it brazing or welding? I took a picture from my Linde book on welding 1963 to show where I got lead welding.

Not that this at all matters, just for educational fun.
    -Aaron
    Aaron,accually lead welding,is and still is called by the old timers,Lead Burning,!!??????

During WW2 Storts had a seperate shop for just the 39 lead Burners,,I was taught by one of the old timers,(When i was 23)which if you worked for Storts Welding during WW2 ,That was considered doing your Goverment service!,I have to find one of Storts old Bibles,I have 2 left,and 2 pages are just on lead,Still done the same way,a old hand built torch,and Oxy and Hydrogen, i still do it once a month for same cust,the print says 1918,im afraid of opening it up,But i still fab the same lead annodes!

Most of all the Lead burners all lived until they were late 80's and most into ther 90's,Ive been tested for going on 30 years now,and never found any trace of lead in my blood! I have to find and Ill post some pics,I know this thread is old,But pouring rain,figured i do some reading,!!!! Sorry for the Hi Jack,,, Just like all the old timers that worked with asbestos,Until the gov.said it would kill you,very fast!!!!! Again,all into late 80's and 4 packs of Lucky strike smokes! Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink Electrodes are abundantly available

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    I am going to correct you and I hope you don't take it wrong.

Soldering is any thing up to 800F (or some thing like that)
    Brazing as anything over 800F to 1200F (?)
    Welding is over 1300F
    It has nothing to do with the filler type as I can weld a36 steel with 309 stainless filler
    and a flux coated bronze rod and a torch sounds like brazing to me

TJ
    I am just beginning to search the internet for bronze brazing electrodes. I have found numerous sites that describe/list several different brands/types/uses. I will share only one here because they are in the USA. Alcam Inc. Charleston, South Carolina Toll free 1-800-533-3177. Just look up Alcam Inc. They list four different rods and their technical description/use.

Default Bronze brazing electrodes are abundantly available

I am going to correct you and I hope you don't take it wrong.

Soldering is any thing up to 800F (or some thing like that)
    Brazing as anything over 800F to 1200F (?)
    Welding is over 1300F
    It has nothing to do with the filler type as I can weld a36 steel with 309 stainless filler
    and a flux coated bronze rod and a torch sounds like brazing to me

TJ
    IO have just begun to look for bronze brazing/welding rods on the internet. There are many. I will list only one here because it is near local to me and I have the toll free number (1-800-533-3177), Alcam Inc. Charleston, South Carolina. They list 4 different rods with their technical/use description. Hope this helps.

Talking Bronze brazing electrodes are abundantly available

I am going to correct you and I hope you don't take it wrong.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Soldering is any thing up to 800F (or some thing like that)<br>
    Brazing as anything over 800F to 1200F (?) <br>
    Welding is over 1300F<br>
    It has nothing to do with the filler type as I can weld a36 steel with 309 stainless filler <br>
    and a flux coated bronze rod and a torch sounds like brazing to me<br>
    <br>
    TJ
    <br><br>IO have just begun to look for bronze brazing/welding rods on the internet. &nbsp;There are many. &nbsp;I will list only one here because it is near local to me and I have the toll free number (1-800-533-3177), Alcam Inc. Charleston, South Carolina. &nbsp;They list 4 different rods with their technical/use description. &nbsp;Hope this helps.

That Storts history sounds very interesting.

How large are their books and what do they cover?

Quote Originally Posted by 1930case View Post
    That Storts history sounds very interesting.

How large are their books and what do they cover?
    Same here. Ive allways said you learn something new everyday. I didn't know they welded lead.

Time for a new thread on the subject with more pictures and descriptions what some of those items are used for.

Thanks storts.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

I used some electrodes to weld bronze many years ago, say back in the mid to late 70's. I don't remember who manufactured them or any info on the electrodes. What I do remember and remember it very well was the smoke coming off them contained cyanide which can be veary deadly. Make sure you have a well ventilated area or a good fume extractor!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate