Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BajaWelder Guest

Default stack of dimes (mig welds)

Looking to get better, obviously practice makes perfect but I cannot get that [i]stack of dimes"[i] look on tubing or flat stock.
    Mostly practicing on flat stock 10ga or .120 wall tubing (fishmouthed) to fit another piece of tuning(like a roll cage)

Using the Miller 175 with 75/25%.

what am Im I doing wrong?

Too me, its actually easier to get better looking welds TIG vs MIG.
    TIG

thanks!
    Last edited by BajaWelder; 02-14-2007 at 07:06 PM.

what am Im I doing wrong.

Worrying about it.

Not sure what you mean by the fish mouth look. Maybe you could post a pic. As to the stack of dimes look. sometime that is the affect of a pulse weld. also it is the affects of a small side to side motion while welding. If your heat and wire speed are set right, move your bead side to side just a little and should see the look you are looking for and get a good weld.
    Little Fabrication

Miller DVI2
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
    HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    what am Im I doing wrong.

Worrying about it.
    lol. hehehe
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

if you mean fish mouth by that they are pointed, then your travel speed is too fast.

Somehow I don't think he is refering to the weld bead being "fishmouthed" but the tubing end being "fishmouthed". If you are using a MM175 don't expect to be able to make the weld look like the Tig beads, it might be possible, but it certinly won't be easy.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

The picture posted looks alot like Aluminum also. Sometimes the 'Stack of Dimes' look is a good selling point to an uneducated eye, meaning if it looks good it is good, but those dimes can be stress risers leading to a shorter life. A good smooth bead with MIG is probably stronger, just not as ***y. Hope this helps, Paul

Wink

That stack of dimes look your after is created by pulsed arc mig and is created by whipping simular to burning E6010 electrode takes some practice but not much. On the other hand though those welds look pretty good to me. Don't worry about it.

How the heck do you do that in the first place without a pulse MIG? Are you pulsing it with the trigger?
    please answer by e-mail, I may not be able to find this thread again.thanks
    Hawaiianmetalworks@hotmail.com
    New to welding
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

They look pretty good to me, as someone else said, smooth is really OK. It does look like aluminum in the picture
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]